Packing in drop bags... - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-15-2018   #11

Central Point, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
Are your chairs in drybags? All that stuff is stuff I prefer to keep a bit more dry than a drop bag. Drybagging chairs seems like a hassle...

rolla a table and firepan are about all I usually end up stashing there. suncreen bug spray etc all have homes that dont require moving passengers to access.
https://travelchair.com/products/teddy-model-579v-228

We use and sell these chairs. The only problem is someone in the group still brings a $10 walmart chair and then sits in yours. They store great in a drop bag along with all the other "long and skinny's" Stove stand, cots, axe, ropes for tarp setup and ... Our drop bags are a bit more substantial than most and there is no way your will loose any items in a flip or wrap. What all this means is our gear isn't cheap.

https://www.whitewaterworthy.com/product/drop-n-go-bag/

Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018   #12

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Nice drop bags Jake!
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018   #13

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Everything that doesn't fit in the dry box.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018   #14

NE, Oregon
If your requirement is that it's open, i.e. not capped by a table your options for gear get pretty limited. I've done it with chairs and Rolla cots on larger trips and of course coolers.

I appreciate drop bags flexibility for all kinds of storage, especially when capped with a table. Also easy way to keep weight centered with a low center of gravity, even if it is the heaviest drybag.
Willie 1.5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018   #15

Arnold, California
I put 30mm ammo boxes under a bench that the passengers sit on. Eventually I'll convert this to a table, but haven't done that yet. The 30mm cans are good for either a days dry food or a 24 pack of beverages. These are shorter and slightly narrower than the 20mm boxes. It seems to work good to keep stuff organized.
On top of the boxes we put chairs & such so the cans don't bounce around too much.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-16-2018   #16
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Part of the groover crew's daily duties on our trips are to collect all the camp chairs as we hit the beach and upload the rafts and set them all up around the fire pan they also set up. They area all dry within minutes, no need to drybags for your chairs. Drop bag is the perfect place for them. Also use mine to store unopened 30 packs of cheap beer as backups for later in trips with the good cold cooler beers are gone. Propane, ammo cans, fire pan, all good. I don't have a closing top on my drop bag, I put it in my front bay and my kitchen table is strapped over it to act as a hatch every day. Throw a paco pad on top of that and I have a nice flat seat for passengers that stores a ton of gear I don't want to rig down in the back.
Old 05-16-2018   #17

Seattle, Washington
Good feedback guys.

I don't usually have lots of propane, or a solid table, or paco pads, or rocket boxes. The hatch seems to make most sense when part of a table packing system, or boat sleeping system.

I think boat size might also be a factor, my 16' has 21" tubes and thats the first boat where a drop bag seems like it could actually take some gear. all my other boats are smaller, and a drop bag in a boat with 18" tubes doesn't hold much.

I think I like not having 2 dryboxes, as the drop bag bay could be replaced with a 2nd cooler if needed. and less storage space in the garage...
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018   #18

Northwest, Montana
I put pretty much everything in drop bags, One is under my passenger bench and Paco pads. The other is under my rowing seat, uncovered so I can stack above the frame at the beginning of the trip. By the end most of the beer is gone, so the gear sits below the frame rails.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018   #19

Distiller and Salida's Mayor, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983

Beer lots of beer! I will put beer and stuff that can get wet in the first bay, 5 rocket boxes in the second and my cooler in the 4th. on big trips I will use a trailer frame with a drop bag and lid that will carry extra rocket boxes and random stuff. Dry bags, poco pads etc get strapped to the decks.

ptwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018   #20

SW, Montana
Going with the drop bag for my front bay with camp table on top as seats for passengers on a new 16’ raft setup. Never before used a drop bag but plan to store camp chairs and other miscellaneous gear. My question: what open top drop bag is the best or will any work?
cowboyclay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag