Owyhee Shuttle lesson learned - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2019   #1

Pendleton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Owyhee Shuttle lesson learned

Wanted to tell everyone about my experience I had with Robin Easterday with Owyhee River Shuttles who charged $160.
My group used her as shuttle service and it will be the last time. As per our notes, she was advised to leave the vehicle key in the gas cap door at the takeout (Birch Creek Ranch) Upon arrival there was no key to be found. We searched all areas of the vehicle thinking it might be misplaced. Also searched on the ground, around the boat ramp, and parking lot....no luck. I ended up using my emergency (on person) key and was able to drive out. We would have called her for an explanation, but there was no cell service until we reached the other side of Homedale, ID. If not for the spare key, we would likely have spent the night waiting for a good samaritan to take us out of the canyon.
I notified Mrs. Easterday and told her the issue. Her response was rehearsed and unflinching...."we left the key where you told us, if its not there, then its not my fault" I asked her to check with her drivers and get back with me. She never did as I never received a return phone call...in fact even after multiple messages she refuses to call me back with an apology or solution. This is not a cheap fix as I will have to go to my dealer and have a new chip key made and programmed.
I've been rafting for a long time and never saw anything like this!

Hope everyone has a good boating season and no stranded vehicles at the takeout

crossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019   #2

StGeorge, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
Good to know! Thanks for the warning.
Dustin Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019   #3

Seattle, Washington
Yeah. I just got off the Owyhee today. Robin told us she would shuttle our cars the day before takeout as we wanted an early start. We got up early and we’re the second group at Birch Creek. Stoked! But alas, no cars. Other groups poured in and their cars were not there. Two hours later our trucks arrived. We had made arrangements to have one of the non 4 wheel drive cars to be left near the highway. It was not there. I drove my friend and her boat/ gear to Jordan Valley en route to Rome and luckily stopped for gas - the attendant told us Robin was on her way with the car. She still charged 75$.

Robin is sketchy. Won’t use her ever again
davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019   #4

Enterprise, Oregon
A few years ago we used Robin to shuttle our vehicles to birch. We fueled up in JV and launched at Rome. When we got to Birch our pickup was on empty, light on. Hard to pin anybody down as it could have been someone from the take out. I called her about it to start a trend or at least so she could keep an eye out. She argued with me that we forgot to fuel in JV. It left a bad taste in our mouth. So with that, who else do you use?
Gspkoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019   #5

Pendleton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
2 other options:

Ken Haylett 208-459-1292

OR

Chuck and Judy Baker "Owyhee Adventure Shuttles" 541-586-2548
crossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
I also recommend Owyhee Adventure Shuttle Service, Chuck and Judy Baker: c.)458-224-9165, h.)541-586-2548. [email protected].
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019   #7

Enterprise, Oregon
Thank you
Gspkoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019   #8

Portland, Oregon
I went on my first trip a few weeks ago and used Ken. No problems at all. The buddy I was with has had Ken drive shuttle on every trip and had nothing but nice things to say.
paor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019   #9

Boise, Idahoer
Paddling Since: 2011
We took out Monday at BC Ranch. Owyhee River Shuttles had our vehicles there as expected.
I had noticed lots of folks hanging out, I had assumed they were self-shuttlers?
Owyhee River Shuttles also did a 3 Forks to Rome shuttle for us last month without issue.
Last weekend was VERY busy. I waited for a shuttle crew to leave, just to find any place to park in Rome. Also I didn't micro-manage when they should get it to BC Ranch? I love it when they are waiting for me to finish up, so they can go! I miss Jack.
D-Sieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019   #10

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
In Robin's defense, last weekend was very busy. They ran a 3 Forks to Rome shuttle for us.Not sure why you take chances with a $200 item. I had 2 spare sets of no- chip keys made for under $10 bucks, which I leave for shuttles and carry w. me. I also hide a set on the vehicle.
Owyhee River users descend on Jordan Valley and Rome and triple the population while the river is flowing. They have a hard time finding people who can/will drive. Cut them a little slack, and idiot-proof/murphy's law protect yourself.
cataraftbetty is offline   Reply With Quote