Owyhee access roads - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
So has anyone hit the Owyhee yet this season? We're watching the weather and the water levels in hopes of getting on during our Spring Break (last week of March).

Bigwaterforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkylover53 View Post
If you have chains, you could get out at Birch. I would not recommend rowing across the reservoir. I did it once and took 12+ hours (and we ran out of booze).

That’s really poor planning.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewax View Post
Has anyone run their own shuttle from Rome to Birch, any estimate of time? Trying to decide if it is worth to send some folks while we rig. Thanks.
Only when I was a super poor college student. It is over 3 hours round trip from the Rome Launch to Birch Creek and back depending on how you driver and what vehicle closer to 4 hours. If you have a trailer, it is over 4 hours.
shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 52 Minutes Ago   #14

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I drove into Birch Saturday 4/13...

...I would not drive a 2wd drive rig in there, especially pulling a trailer. You'd be asking for trouble. Also, I would not take a low clearance rig like a Subaru.

You'd want a very short trailer. There are a couple of creek crossings where with steep banks where a long trailer could get hung up.

If you don't have experience with 4x4 driving, its best not to attempt it. For example, what are you going to do if you meet another vehicle coming down the road with no room to pull off? Can you back a trailer down a steep, winding canyon?

You might get in there in a 2wd Sprinter van, but you probably wouldn't make it out.
Pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 41 Minutes Ago   #15

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Here are some pics from our trip 4/13/2019.

The road is a lot rougher than it looks in the photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UqXE3zyMyjTXr7cC9
Pine is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
access

« Contact Solution | - »