overnight float trip suggestions needed - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-21-2013   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
overnight float trip suggestions needed

So, I have been here in Colorado for almost a year now. I have gotten out with my raft a few times and all is good. However one of the reasons I moved here was because my wife was having health issues that got even worst this past winter. Good news is she is doing much better and improving everyday. The last few weeks she has even ventured out for some fun in the outdoors. We floated the lower Poudre a few times and she felt great.

We love to do overnight float trips and she was asking if we could do a one night trip soon. It is more of a trial trip to see if she feels good enough to make it happen. We have a young son but the plan would be to leave him with nana and grandpa for the two days so she would not be stressed or bothered by having him along.

I am struggling however since I do not know the area that well. A few options I found that might work are many hours away. What I am trying to find might not even be possible but rather then keep searching I would love to know if it exists or is just a pipe dream.

I need a two day/one night option that is hopefully not to far from Fort Collins. 2 hours is probably possible and 3 might work and I would probably be willing to try it if I can find a 3 or less hour away option.

It needs to be a fairly short float because I picture taking our time to get there, floating for the afternoon, setting up camp then floating only in the AM to get to the take out then back to Fort Collins by evening.

In a perfect world too it would be on water that is on the mellow side for a few reasons. #1 would be this is not a trip for me to learn new technical water. #2 my wife does not need the stress or fear of heavy white water. If at any point in the process my wife started to feel ill again I would need to punch it out and head back. We know it is a risk for her but she is doing so good I am confident in the risk.

Is this possible? Is there an option?

T1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The Upper Colorado is probably your ticket. Its probably about 2-3 hours from the Fort. There is on the river camping, and multiple putins and take outs to choose from and civilization is not that far away. A drawback is that the trains at night can be loud at times, so its definitely not wilderness. A few rapids are interspersed, but most of the are pretty chill class II or easy III affairs. I haven't run much of this in years, and hear that its starting to get more crowded, but would be worth looking into. I'm sure the rafting shops probably have a river guide on it.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #3

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Yampa past Hayden to Craig.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013   #4
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Is there any camping on the North Platte up by Saratoga?

What about floating from the takeout of Spencer heights through rustic and camping at one of the camp ground higher up in the canyon?? I've never done that section or heard much about it, so I am guessing its mellow and enjoyable, well it looks to be from the road at least, can anyone chime in on these options...
Old 06-21-2013   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
in regards the upper colorado, if it's a weekend trip, campsites go fast along that stretch. don't be picky or "shop" for the "better one around the bend". if you can, do it mid-week or in the shoulder seasons.

a pdf guide with campsites listed,put ins/take out points...

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...ure_032305.pdf
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #6
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Ditto on the upper Colorado. It's a pretty mellow and easy trip, you have lots of choice as far as duration, and you can be out and on the road fast if you need to.

And you can get back at the trains; just moon them.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the Kayaker View Post
Is there any camping on the North Platte up by Saratoga?

What about floating from the takeout of Spencer heights through rustic and camping at one of the camp ground higher up in the canyon?? I've never done that section or heard much about it, so I am guessing its mellow and enjoyable, well it looks to be from the road at least, can anyone chime in on these options...
Fits the bill for mellow, and the distance from Foco. There is some camping, however I'm not sure the bail out option is there. 6 mile to Bennett peak is a pretty good stretch for a quick overnight, especially with the flows fading fast. Bennett to Saratoga, camping on Treasure island could work if the flows are there- 3-4 hours for Bennett to treasure, about the same for Treasure to town. Can get longer with wind or lower flows. Does allow for bailing out at Treasure island- there is an access there. No real options for bailing in between the 3 accesses though.
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post

the trains.
i forgot to mention foam ear plugs are helpful at night.

or getting shitfaced drunk. that helps allot too.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post

And you can get back at the trains; just moon them.
Earplugs make sleeping on the Upper C much better.

Apologies for the threadjack and I know I'll get some pushback on this but... It's time to end the practice of mooning the Amtrak. We need the general public to have a more positive view of boaters rather than think we're all a bunch of offensive, drunk assholes.

Think of how it will play out the next time the boating community is up against the property rights coalition trying to get legislation for access and portage rights. All they've got to do is take the Amtrak to Glenwood Springs with a video camera, then use the footage to make their case to keep boaters from walking on their river front land and the riverbeds.

That's not going to get boaters much sympathy outside of biker bars.

Please have some respect for the train passengers out enjoying the view up on the Colorado.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #10

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Upper will give you the best options for an early take off and by far the best chance of catching a ride/shuttle if you have to. Good point about the mooning and boater perception, but if it lifts her spirits and overall enjoyment please don't stop her.
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote