Oregon Senate Bill 47 Pros and Cons - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-16-2019   #1

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Oregon Senate Bill 47 Pros and Cons

Hey all. I've see the bill proposal and have read thru it. From what I can glean it means a raise in cost to $17 per boat and dropping the length on which boats to charge to 10 foot. It also mentions how the monies will be spent. I would love to hear how you all see it and how this will impact public and private boaters alike.

Voodoo003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2019   #2
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
It is total bull shit. They want to charge us $17 per non-motorized craft to fund a program to increase waterway access. For example, we float the Wallowa-Grande Ronde about every year. The put in is a gravel lot with unimproved gravel ramp. The takeout we use is the same. We actually launch on private land. Typically we have 4 IKs and 2 oar rigs on our family trip. The Iks are generally slightly over 10' so would have to pay the fee. that is a total of $102 bucks, an increase of a total of $60 (over the current invasive species $7 permit) just to float the same river.

Another example of a river we boat, the lower Owyhee from Rome to Birch Creek. Put in and takeout is on land owned and managed by BLM (federal). The ramps are unimproved dirt and work just fine. No facility upgrades are needed to improve access at the ramp sites. But under the new law we need a $17 permit to run this section with IKs. Is the state of Oregon going to give this money to the federal government to improve access on their lands?

How about a river that already has user fees to cover access and management, like the Deschutes River. So someone has to pay a fee to buy the daily permits to float the Deschutes, the fees also fund maintenance of the access facilities, and they need an additinoal $17/year per each boat? Last year I gave the state of Oregon about $16K in income and property tax. Now they want to charge me an additional $100/year just to be able to use all of my boats on any water way to use some unknown unplanned facilities that may never materialize and I would imagine if they are built, will be in areas I don't use near urban centers.

Who are these ass holes that we pay to work for us, then turn around and take more. This whole oregon state bull shit is caused by the Public Employees Retirement System out of control shit storm mandatory budget obligation.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/opinion...up-front-about

The agency asked for the following concepts to be considered by the Board and the Governor, which were approved in December 2018:

Waterway Access Account (SB 47): Creates a dedicated account to increase waterway access to all of Oregon’s waterways. The permit that funds this account would be required on all boats 10’ and over except motorboats and sailboats with valid registration decals. This is identical to the current requirement for non-motorized boats to carry the Aquatic Invasive Species Permit (AIS permit), and in this concept, the Waterway Access Permit would replace the AIS permit for non-motorized boats. Permits would be transferable to other non-motorized boats and children under 14 would not need a permit. Revenue will be used to support boating facility grants for state, local governments, park organizations and tribal governments for the acquisition of property, leases, or easements in order for the public to access waterways and construction and maintenance of boating access facilities. Funds would also be available for public bodies and non-profit entities to develop safety education courses and to purchase boating equipment to reduce barriers for underserved communities who wish to recreate on Oregon’s waterways.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Senate Bill 47 that would create the $17 fee for all non motorized craft over 10' is currently in the Environment and Natural Resources Committee. If you are an Oregon registered voter and oppose this fee, call the state senators on the committee and urge a no vote on SB 47. I just called each one of them to voice my opposition, which took less than 10 minutes total. The committee website is here:
https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/201.../SENR/Overview

and committee member contact info provided below for convenience

Senator Michael Dembrow
Democrat - District 23 - Portland
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1723
Email: [email protected]

Senator Alan Olsen - Republican - District 20 - Canby
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1720
District Phone: 503-266-4599

Senator Legislator PhotoCliff Bentz
Republican - District 30 - Ontario
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1730 District Phone: 541-889-8866

Senator Floyd Prozanski
Democrat - District 4 - South Lane and North Douglas Counties
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1704 District Phone: 541-342-2447

Senator Arnie Roblan
Democrat - District 5 - Coos Bay
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1705
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2019   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Interesting. You have to wonder at some point the fine might be less than obeying the law if you have lots of boats and do lots of trips.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019   #5

Portland, Oregon
Interesting exclusion in section 5:

Quote:
(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

. . .

(c) A person operating a boat on a federally designated wild and scenic river for which
a separate fee system is in place.
jbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwild View Post
Interesting. You have to wonder at some point the fine might be less than obeying the law if you have lots of boats and do lots of trips.
Its just a yearly fee per boat used, so number of trips per year doesn't factor is.
The fee is transferable to various boats, but if you have a lot of boats/paddle boards/pool floaties that you use all at the same time, it could add up quick. We have taken a few trips in the recent past where we had all of our 10 personal IKs and 2 oar rigs on the water at once (all of which are 10 feet or longer). That would cost us $204 smackers to do that trip to cover the new proposed fee. Over a 10 year period, if you do that trip once per year that is $2040. That is real money above and beyond any other park, parking, boat launch, river permit fee structure.

This fee would apply to any float craft 10 feet or longer, that would affect nearly all IKs, rafts, pontoon boats, catarafts, rafts, and SUPs, sit on top kayaks, canoes, long pool floaties, etc.

Defenitely puts it into the category of taking a chance on not buying them for all boats and taking the risk for a ticket. With the $7/boat invasive species sticker, we usually get them all, with a $17 per boat, I'll take may chances.
Old 01-16-2019   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbomb View Post
Interesting exclusion in section 5:
(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
. .

(c) A person operating a boat on a federally designated wild and scenic river for which
a separate fee system is in place.
Problem with that exclusion for us, the miltiday rivers we run the most in Oregon are the Wallowa-Grande Ronde and Owyhee, while both are Wild and Scenic Designated, neither has an existing fee system in place, so the new $17/boat would apply. We also float the John Day typically before the fee-permit season kicks in, so it seams like we would have to pay to float the John Day prior to May 20 then. The NF John Day does not have a permit fee system currently, and we float that a fair amount, so the new fee would apply. All of these rivers are managed for floaters primarily either by the BLM or Forest Service. So we have to pay a state access fee to float a river managed by the feds for boating access.
Old 01-17-2019   #8
rafter

Bend, N'A
Paddling Since: 2000
OR Bill 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo003 View Post
Hey all. I've see the bill proposal and have read thru it. From what I can glean it means a raise in cost to $17 per boat and dropping the length on which boats to charge to 10 foot. It also mentions how the monies will be spent. I would love to hear how you all see it and how this will impact public and private boaters alike.
I have been following this from the very beginning and the key issue here is how they have titled it " Water Access Bill"...and it keeps being revised with new details as it moves along. Basically it is another way for the Marine Board to collect $$$. My understanding from what the Marine Board has shared is that people in the valley ( we live on the east side of the Cascades) , boaters, are asking for this???? Really? Access to the Willamette??? Anyways, now is the time to tell all your friends to start sending letters to Salem as well as the Governor and let them know how ridiculous this bill is....many of us DO NOT need the facilities they say we need. Again now is the time to begin the campaign to get this thing out of legislature.
rioperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019   #9
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioperro View Post
now is the time to tell all your friends to start sending letters to Salem as well as the Governor and let them know how ridiculous this bill is....many of us DO NOT need the facilities they say we need. Again now is the time to begin the campaign to get this thing out of legislature.
I understand SB 47 is in the Environment and Natural Resources Committee right now. Email and call the senators on the committee listed above. If they can kill it from leaving the committee, then game over.