older APEX raft question - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-16-2015   #1

Boone, North Carolina
older APEX raft question

Does anyone have any experience with Apex brand rafts? I do know it is Hypalon and with diminished tubes. The year is mid-1990s. A guy has for sale and I'm looking for any reviews or comments.

Thanks ALL in advance.

Mouthandeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Never had an APEX in the shop, nor have I heard of them.
Old 07-16-2015   #3

Boone, North Carolina
Inflatable Rafting Boat AR-14

Thanks Z
Here is there website and logo looks AVON esque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Interesting. The one on the site does look like a Milpro. Does the mid 90's one look like that? I'd like to see a pic of that one. You can send it to [email protected] if you dont want to post it here. I wont steal the deal from you.
Old 07-16-2015   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I have experience with Apex boats, mostly on the marine R.I.B. side. Them make very nice boats. The build quality is awesome, and they seem to hold up well. I have only seen one apex on the river, and it looked like a very nice boat as well. The only weird thing I remember about them is that the handles are big blocks of rubber, rather than something that will fold. Also, I don't think the company is based in the US, but I could be wrong about that. I do remember the R.I.B. boats they make or made were super expensive. I wouldn't worry about it falling apart... If it isn't hammered I would expect it to hold up as well as any other high quality Hypalon raft.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #6

Boone, North Carolina
Ok

Thanks mucho, he did mention that one of the floor ribs has expanded, in other words it's not a flat floor perhaps someone could weigh in and tell ne if that is a big deal, seemingly most self nailers that I've seen have a flat floor should that concern me? Thanks again
Old 07-16-2015   #7

Boone, North Carolina
Here is a picIMG_2938.JPG
Old 07-16-2015   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I can't see the pic, but it sounds like a blown I beam in the floor. They can be usable with a blown beam, but it will affect the value quite a bit. If it is a good deal, it may be ok. On the other hand, a new floor will usually cost more than a used boat is worth, so be aware of the gamble. I would not purchase a boat with a blown I beam unless it was very cheap. A blown I beam can be cause by a prv sticking while the boat is in the sun, so it may not be an indicator of larger problems, but be wary.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #9

Banner Elk, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1992
The Apex boats I've driven were Hypalon and performed like a noodle. I believe they were manufactured in Costa Rica. If the I-beam is blown, it's not usually worth fixing because the other beams may go as well. Finding a new floor might be difficult and certainly pricey. Good Luck.
Star Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote