Old Avon-Leaky Floor - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Aspe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Old Avon-Leaky Floor

I have a very old (late 80's?) 14ft Avon SB. She's a classic and has done me well for the few years I've had her. The floor, mainly the seams, has some very small leaks and the floor gets soft over the course of a day. Small patches that have mitigated the problem have started to add up and I thought I'd ask you guys what you thought.
Eventually I'll bring it to a pro and have it looked at but in the meantime, what does everyone think? Is there any hope for the old girl? Is there a scenario that involves, i don't know, a massive patch/refurbishment that would keep her going and holding air?

ace2gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
Personally, I'd keep patching her. You know Avons track better with soft floors. They slide over rocks better too. The biggest concern are the I beams in the floor. The softer the floor the less worry. Once those start to go.......

I have a 84 Avon I keep patching the floor on. I'm at 17 and counting. I blame a lot of it on empty beer cans floating around in the bottom from a younger day and age. Do you think 17 is too many?

(The cost of a professional redoing my floor is way more than the boat is worth.)
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Aspe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks and mostly agreed with your points. I guess, when considering cost of having the floor redone being more than the boat is worth one would have to consider how much the boat is to them.... I'd much rather keep this one tip top than buy something new. In terms of size and coolness its perfect for what i want it for. I just counted the floor patches, exactly 17
ace2gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
Thanks funny. 17 must be the magic number. I share your love for old Avon's. I'm off on the year. It is actually an 87. The boat I'm talking about came close to being patch material before a buddy of mine decided it was too good for that and helped me refurbish it. Old Grey Mare is headed for Deso in a couple of weeks. Check it out.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/...are-56385.html
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Don't forget to clean the pressure release valve now and then. That may be the most common source of slow-leaking floors on self-bailers. As for the age of the boat, good hypalon lasts a very long time if not left out in the UV. My 1987 Domar is still in great shape because it has always been stored indoors when not on the river. Seams and punctures can be glued and those old boats will keep going and going.
Domar Dave is offline   Reply With Quote