Oarlock question - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-24-2013   #1

Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Oarlock question

So I just switch from pin & clips to oarlocks mostly because that's what everyone else I boat with uses so if I had trouble I could borrow a oar.

But my question is, I just put sleeves on without oar stoppers. On this site and NRS people recommend putting on either oar rights or the rubber/plastic stoppers. Don't those stoppers keep you from pulling an oar back out of the lock quickly? Which is the advantage over pin/clip. Am I missing something?
I was thinking about staying away from oar rights just because it felt like cheating using them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013   #2

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Mr Hand, welcome to the age old question - much like the Monty Python Meaning of Life question.

No correct answer here - but you can run the sleeves without a stopper, or if the oar is rope wrapped you can just use the stopper. You can also use the sleeve with a stopper. It's kind of a personal preference. The sleeve helps to minimize wear onthe oar from the oarlock, same as the rope rap. The stopper (or doughnut) helps keep the oar from sliding out of the oarlock into the water. The stopper would be inside of the oarlock, not outside so one can pull the oar into the boat. Oar rights work in the same way although they purportedly help keep the oar at a "right" angle like the pins/clips.
Many opinions on this as well as other important rafting items such as draining coolers, groover storage, bringing wives and girlfriends on trips will certainly evoke much response from the buzz......
Old 06-24-2013   #3

Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand8272 View Post
So I just switch from pin & clips to oarlocks mostly because that's what everyone else I boat with uses so if I had trouble I could borrow a oar.

But my question is, I just put sleeves on without oar stoppers. On this site and NRS people recommend putting on either oar rights or the rubber/plastic stoppers. Don't those stoppers keep you from pulling an oar back out of the lock quickly? Which is the advantage over pin/clip. Am I missing something?
I was thinking about staying away from oar rights just because it felt like cheating using them.
Hey Hand,

The P/C locks you into position. It's great for big water, the only draw back is low water/rocky where they can pop out in a hit.

You need a stopper with a sleeve. The oar right can be cut down so it can act as a stopper and P/C. By shortening it you can back it out with a little pull and feather the oar or shift it.
Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013   #4

Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Ah... looking at a few pictures I see the use of the plastic stoppers. I ran without stoppers last weekend and didn't see the lock chewing on the sleeve but could see how it can happen. These oar locks are way more complicated than pins.
I think I may just buy some oar rights.

One positive I found for pin and clips is when I slam them into position at launch the sound of metal sliding together makes me think I'm locked and loaded.
Oarlocks get jealous.
Old 06-24-2013   #5

Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyside Inflatables View Post
Hey Hand,

The P/C locks you into position. It's great for big water, the only draw back is low water/rocky where they can pop out in a hit.

You need a stopper with a sleeve. The oar right can be cut down so it can act as a stopper and P/C. By shortening it you can back it out with a little pull and feather the oar or shift it.
Typo...Ship it, not shift it..
Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyside Inflatables View Post
Hey Hand,

This is what my friend did with his oar rights. He cut them short. In rapids he's locked & loaded, otherwise he pulls them back a little bit and feathers his oars. I use regular oar rights and don't really care if people call them "oar wrongs" or "training wheels." It's not cheating in my book. No problem shipping the oars either way.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #7

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Rubber stopper on a sleeve will keep your oar in place and keep the lock from chewing up the sleeve.

Every one I have seen get rid of the oar rites has never gone back. You won't break as many blades either.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
[QUOTE/] ...bringing wives and girlfriends on trips will certainly evoke much response from the buzz......[/QUOTE]

Never, EVER do that.

But another thing you can do is pull the oar right out of the lock and turn it over, thus allowing for true open oar locks and feathering. There may be length or overlap issues at the rowers hands, but I can always work around that, esp in calm water. To cut the oar rights off an inch or two would help if you use that technique.
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
[QUOTE ]But another thing you can do is pull the oar right out of the lock and turn it over, thus allowing for true open oar locks and feathering. There may be length or overlap issues at the rowers hands, but I can always work around that, esp in calm water. To cut the oar rights off an inch or two would help if you use that technique.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what my friend did. He's been rowing like that forever. He loves it. His oar rights are about 3 inches long I think ?????
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote