Oar towers for 1.5" pipe - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-15-2018   #1

Seattle, Washington
Oar towers for 1.5" pipe

Let's say set screw oar towers were against your religion.

Are there any other options for 1.5" pipe that won't accept NRS style fittings?

Yes, could weld plate for steel bolt-on towers if a double rail frame.

Any other options?

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Set screw oar towers are against my religion also. Unfortunately, I am a sinner who owns the worlds ugliest 30 year old 1.5" frame because of set screws scars.

One ides I had is shown below. I thought I'd drill out the current screw and drill adjacent holes and use stainless bolts but in the end I didn't think I could trust it not to crack. Besides the tower would still wobble.

I tried at DRE to initiate a 1.5" non set screw option but priorities prevented progress. I discussed it with Earl Wiegert whose design and machining brilliance collaborated on many DRE machined products. I haven't had lunch with Earl lately. I'll shoot him an email to get together to discuss this and a few other ideas.

I look forward to options that people might suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hollender Fitting,20180515_GeoRon01.png
Views:	79
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	30098  
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018   #3
Beater

Salt Lake City, Utah
One solution is more set screw fittings. Bought my frame used. I'm sure the PO had his oar towers with set screw fittings move often enough that he solved the problem with more. 1.25" pipe and fittings but you get the idea.

Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
If I understand the problem maybe you are over-thinking it. I use a set screw fittings but remove one set screw and drill through the frame pipe and install a 5/16" SS bolt with a lock nut, or if you want adjustability drill three holes in the frame and install a clip pin. Any joint where I need a reliable connection I use a bolt or a pin through the frame instead of a set screw. If you need a low-pro fitting to stay (not rotate) drill and tap through one side and thread in a bolt. Never had one of these rotate or come loose. Of course you could always just weld it
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018   #5

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
If I understand the problem maybe you are over-thinking it. I use a set screw fittings but remove one set screw and drill through the frame pipe and install a 5/16" SS bolt with a lock nut, or if you want adjustability drill three holes in the frame and install a clip pin. Any joint where I need a reliable connection I use a bolt or a pin through the frame instead of a set screw. If you need a low-pro fitting to stay (not rotate) drill and tap through one side and thread in a bolt. Never had one of these rotate or come loose. Of course you could always just weld it
This addresses the function fails pretty good, but not the form fails.

guys, speed rail oar towers are FUGLY!!

I don't claim to be entirely rational on this topic ...
Old 05-16-2018   #6

Golden, Colorado
I be interested in seeing photos of any oar tower. That would be very, very interesting.

I believe NRS towers are beautiful, a work of art, but they are not fully adjustable in terms of height and fulcrum point. However that is mostly accounted for by three different sizes.

Is it basically an NRS tower that you are looking for? Of course not available in 1.5". Or it it something else?
Old 05-16-2018   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
You could have the 1.5" towers welded to the fitting.

www.DOWNRIVEREQUIP.com
Toll Free: 1-888-467-2144
Down River Equipment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018   #8

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Is it basically an NRS tower that you are looking for? Of course not available in 1.5". Or it it something else?
I mean, that is the closest thing. It still isn't ideal with just the u-bolt, but seems more reliable from my experience.

Guy's fittings from whitewater machine works are better, but also don't work on 1.25 or 1.5 pipe. Rather than a u-bolt, the whole fitting has tensioned surface contact, and only one bolt to adjust. He also uses 2 fittings per oar tower, similar to the DRE rainbow approach.
Old 05-16-2018   #9

Golden, Colorado
Guys,

I'm beating on DRE to recognize obvious opportunities for optimization.

Please, it is up us to help define to them our experience and requirements.

Keep it coming.
Old 05-16-2018   #10

Golden, Colorado
Please, give me time to consider slickhorns optimizations. His input has much to consider and I will.