oar rights on rope wraps... - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-10-2013   #1

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
oar rights on rope wraps...

Hey I have been running rope wraps with the rubber stoppers and loved them.. however my girlfriend has been wanting to row more and I certainly don't mind more time to fish.. she had a hard time with the rubber stoppers so I'm opting to the oar rights... I just put them on over my rope wrap and bottomed out the bolts... there is a little daylight on each side but they seem tight.. just not as snug as I would like... do I have to worry about these slipping... I am reluctant to put in the screw that comes with them to anchor the vane into my shafts.. is this necessary?? Can it just be glued to the rope wrap for extra support? Do I need to abandon my wraps all together or shim somehow??

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013   #2
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I would recommend picking up a vacuum cleaner belt for a cheap shim. I always have some around and find them more useful than an old bike innnertube.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #3

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Similar problem with grants convertible oar rights. They don't use the screw into the shaft only the compression. But 3/16 solid braid nylon when wrapped tight has too small a diameter. I think 1/4 or 5/16 would be better

Cataract uses polypropylene which is cheaper but probably less likely to stretch and get thinner under tension

Either way, they slipped, and i added shims of PVC from my raft repair kit. They slipped less. However, after each rapids i had to adjust the trim of the blade. Annoying but probably better than cracking a blade if the oar cannot spin from the third screw. And better than not having the oar right at all.

The oar rights with the third screw needs to be drilled. The force of the oarlock can destroy/bend the oar right. Unfortunately the diam of the screw can shear leaving a piece in the shaft which is hard to retrieve. Also if you over-tighten that screw, its head will dig into the plastic and you can damage the oar right.

I think you can address these issues by using epoxy potting on the underside of the oar right
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013   #4

salmon, Idaho
Thanks... I think I am going to try that vacume cleaner belt for a shim and appoxy down the vane.. thanks for the great ideas... it will be a little while until I can test it.. getting new tubes in april and the salmon is still one huge ice jam.
Old 02-10-2013   #5

vancouver, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
Thanks... I think I am going to try that vacume cleaner belt for a shim and appoxy down the vane.. thanks for the great ideas... it will be a little while until I can test it.. getting new tubes in april and the salmon is still one huge ice jam.
What are the new tubes? Didnt you just get new lions?
Old 02-10-2013   #6

salmon, Idaho
Its the lions I'm getting... picking them up in missoula... I bought them from a fellow blizzard in red deer canada... and he comes down south every easter...
Old 02-11-2013   #7

vancouver, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
Its the lions I'm getting... picking them up in missoula... I bought them from a fellow blizzard in red deer canada... and he comes down south every easter...
Cool. Lion 14,16,or 18? Color?
Old 02-11-2013   #8

salmon, Idaho
16' in red, I'm excited. .
Old 02-11-2013   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
x2--3/16 nylon is too small, and it will slip. I put the 3rd screw into my wood shafts.

If you want to avoid the screw, try the shim.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #10

Boise, Idaho
I use electrical tape under my oar rights. I also use it under my oar sleeves, but you could easily tape over your rope wraps. Some people use duct tape, and others use the heavy clear "bodyguard" tape that people in the automotive industry use. Either way my rights used to spin all the time but they haven't spun once since I started using electrical tape.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote