Oar locks - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-05-2017   #1

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Oar locks

Hi everyone! I currently run carlisle oars in Cobra oar locks. This is how i learned tO boat, And for Pool And drop its fine. I am running higher Class And continuous Rapids now And am Looking tO invest in different oarlocks. I know of pins And clips, pro locks, And posilockers, but have Never used any of them. Anyone care to share any info/opinion/advice?

Dianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2017   #2

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Dianne P, is that you my friend? What are you looking to achieve with a different set up? ~ Renee
Cascade River Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017   #3
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I'd keep the locks and upgrade the sticks
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2017   #4

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Yes Renee, it's Dianne p...I'm hoping to never have my oars pop out of my oar locks in the middle of Staircase ever again!

I would like lighter/more comfortable oars as well-hoping to find some help in getting my cockpit dialed in a bit more securely so I can up my adventure level...
Dianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017   #5

Cataract SGG shafts and Magnum blades for oars FTW.

For locks you should decide if you want to be able to feather your oars. If so, then you would be looking at either the posilockers or pro locks. I love posilockers. You also have the option of using an oar rite (wrong...) if you like. Haven't used the pro locks but they look like they would provide similar range of motion. Not sure how adjustable they are in terms of retention but if you often find your oars out of your hands a lot they may be a good option. Be aware that the posilockers will not release, so if you can't take care of your oars you will end up breaking shafts.

If you're just looking to not have your oars pop out of locks you might find that some tuning of the horns and really concentrating on oar control help significantly.
idaho_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I would also recommend taking a look at oar set up if you tend to have oars pop out.

If your handles are further apart, that can certainly make problems, since as you push forward, the handles get even further apart, and natural muscle tension, especially if it is a major rapid, will tend to pull the handles in, popping them out of the oar locks.

I have my oar shafts set up with just an inch or two between the handles max.
On Oar locks, my preference is pins and clips, partly because they are very secure in bigger water. There are downsides, not something you will ever be able to feather with,
and if you put a blade into the river at the wrong time, it will tend to yank you out of your seat. In general, I would say clips are easier on your wrists then feathering, but more risky for the shoulders, generally more suited to bigger water than technical rivers, though I use them everywhere.
Old 02-05-2017   #7

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
A lot of world-class boaters Run With Cobras. Many of them will tell you that cobras are the best. I would second the notion that they need to be tuned if your oars are popping out of them too easily but I wouldn't think less of the cobras.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017   #8

Great Falls, Montana
Out of the ones you mentioned the only ones I have used are cobras but I admit I've been interested in trying pins and clips. They are out of style and no longer trendy so I think people don't look at them as seriously as they should but I really like the idea of them. Especially the fact that the oars stay in place during a flip.
Old 02-05-2017   #9

Great Falls, Montana
BTW, which staircase are you talking about, lochsa or Payette or ???

Are you interested in opinions about oars or just locks?
Old 02-05-2017   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
Out of the ones you mentioned the only ones I have used are cobras but I admit I've been interested in trying pins and clips. They are out of style and no longer trendy so I think people don't look at them as seriously as they should but I really like the idea of them. Especially the fact that the oars stay in place during a flip.
That can be a good thing and a bad thing. We had a near flip on an eddy line on my last Grand Trip that bent an oar because the pins and clips held it in as the boat went up on its side. If it was a fiberglass one it probably would have cracked the oar.

I have a Grand trip at the end of this month and I'm definitely switching to Oarlocks from the Pins and Clips I've been using. They are great for knowing 100% where your oar is, but they are more complex to and have more points of failure, if you do have one pop its a lot harder to get back on the pin, and you can't ship your oars easily.

I like being able to feather when I want, so I got a set of the convertible oar rights. Flip them one way when you want to feather, flip them the other when you want the security of knowing where 90 degrees to the water is.

I considered the Pro-Locks, but there are compromises I didn't really want to make. I've thought about making something similar myself since I have the tools, but haven't gotten down to putting pencil to paper to design it or tools to material to make it yet.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote