oar lock difference? versus - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-11-2019   #1

Portland, Oregon
oar lock difference? versus

oar locks. nrs superstone vs sawyer cobra vs recretec- which is good for what? any advantages or disadvantages for fishing, day tripping, whitewater? any input appreciated.

Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2019   #2

Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
I bought these Pro-Loks last year and love them. You can stand up to scout and line up, all while feathering, then drop in, plop down, lock them in, and pull, push. I had my open oar lock set as a back up for my spare oars last year, but I'll probably order what I need from the guy for this upcoming season. Oh yea for fishing you just spin the blades over 180 and there's no oar right.

I have them on my 18ft. "day" cat with 11' oars, but I would not hesitate to put them on any my other boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4515.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	32791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4229.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	32793  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4431.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	32795  
wildfireone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019   #3

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Out of the three (Superston, Cobra, Recretec) the Cobra is probably the top dog.

Cobras: best range of motion, can “tune” the lock to your specific oar shaft and comfort, used by many. Good for fishing and whitewater. Cons, may need to “retune” , may pop in heavy water ( better than breaking an oar). If you are running technical rivers and doing lots of boating, Cobras

Superston: typical range of motion, less likely to pop an oar, no tuning. Probably best for heavy loads , like 12 passengers and a stern mount frame on the snake.

Recretec: best price. Pretty standard all around lock. Probably good for most purposes.

In its own category:

Pro-Loks: all I have heard is good things. Best range of motion. Good smooth quiet operation. Best for fishing. I personally have not yet rowed with Pro Loks
FlyingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019   #4

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfireone View Post
I bought these Pro-Loks last year and love them. You can stand up to scout and line up, all while feathering, then drop in, plop down, lock them in, and pull, push. I had my open oar lock set as a back up for my spare oars last year, but I'll probably order what I need from the guy for this upcoming season. Oh yea for fishing you just spin the blades over 180 and there's no oar right.

I have them on my 18ft. "day" cat with 11' oars, but I would not hesitate to put them on any my other boats.
Interested to know how the shrink wrap worked on your cataracts... I have pro loks and love the system, just not sold on the oars just yet. Switching back to normal locks when you need to is kind of a PIA.
Beer Waggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019   #5

Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Waggin View Post
Interested to know how the shrink wrap worked on your cataracts... I have pro loks and love the system, just not sold on the oars just yet. Switching back to normal locks when you need to is kind of a PIA.
I actually have a little tear the size of a dime in the shrink tube that happened on day one, so it might have been my fault in shrinking it on? It was really hot outside when I received the box in the mail, and one side shrink tube went on pretty tight, especially right where it was folded to get it in the shipping box. I also never lubed them up with Armor-all or the other recommend lubes, and I have a lot of days on them.

Last summer I was in Missoula and at the boat shop, "Trail Head" there was another brand of really similar locks (I cannot remember the Brand) and they did not have any shrink tube on the oars, so I don't know if you even need it, or if that was because it was a display set-up.

I have never actually had to switch to the spare oars (just knocked on the desk) - I carried spare oar locks before I had the Pro-Loks, just in case one got loose after a few pops, or something else happened.

I was out boating last summer and stopped by Sawyer at Gold Hill, OR to get some stuff we "needed" and was lusting after their composites with the smoker WW Pro blades. Pro-Lok makes oars too, you have probably seen them on his website.

Do you use Teathers?
wildfireone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019   #6

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I have shrink wraps on my cataracts and a pair of carlisle oars. They have great so far. No maintenance, no noise, and have been really tough... I have a set of pro locks on both of my boats, and would have a hard time going any other direction.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #7

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
I do use teathers.

Iím just not sold on the amount of flex the Pro Loks have. Itís amost like there is so much flex that the response time is slower because Iím waiting for the blades to catch up with my hands.
Beer Waggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #8

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1994
I've seen a couple of the NRS Superston oar locks break so I don't trust them.

For whitewater, the Cobras are awesome but some people don't like them. I can't remember why - it was a silly reason. The standard "A" Oar Lock that Sawyer makes are tried and true:

OAR LOCKS

The real answer to your question is - Pins and Clips.
zcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcollier View Post
The standard "A" Oar Lock that Sawyer makes are tried and true:

OAR LOCKS

The real answer to your question is - Pins and Clips.

I was wondering when this would surface....

The cobras allow your oar to get "jammed" in between the tops of the lock instead of blowing out when you need it most, rope wrap accentuates that problem as it's compressible. If it blows out, you can hopefully finagle it back in, jammed is jammed and you're screwed. They do have great range of motion though.

Rowed Pins and clips most of my 39 some odd years of rafting and love them 99.9% of the time. Nice to ALWAYS have your oar when you need it. What amazes me is how many folks use "Oar Wrongs" with opens, negating any benefit you get from open oarlocks. But then, different strokes and all.

That being said, my Dory has hand cast opens, and for that boat with it's handmade oars (historic leather sleeve and stopper), they work well and are much heftier than anything you can purchase commercially.

MT4runner who posts here told me he's looking to have his own design cast, which I'd most certainly get when he does, his design is stronger (and prettier) and having it custom cast assures you much higher quality control in the casting process than a mass produced item IMHO

My 2Ę, your mileage may vary.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Waggin View Post
Interested to know how the shrink wrap worked on your cataracts...

Used this on a set of Carlisle aluminum spares, worked like a dream

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...1525&catid=593

Many colors, thick high quality plastic. Not cheap, but compared to new oars......

Planning on doing it to the 8 old cat shafts I have pre urethane coating, tried spar varnish, and while it works for a while, the shrink tubing would be a more permanent fix.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote