Oar lock choices - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-26-2012   #1

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Oar lock choices

Finally going to replace my pins and clips that came with my boat ten years ago with oarlocks. I thought the sawyers cobra oarlocks with the nut lock was the go to without question, but the local shop owner recommended the new NRS atomic aluminum oarlocks (even though they cost less) over the sawyers. Thoughts? Experience? Can the drop forged aluminum be bent back into shape with a river cobble? Does it even spread out like other oar locks? Any one think I should save my money for booze and drugs and keep the pins and clips?

Daddygall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddygall View Post
Finally going to replace my pins and clips that came with my boat ten years ago with oarlocks. I thought the sawyers cobra oarlocks with the nut lock was the go to without question, but the local shop owner recommended the new NRS atomic aluminum oarlocks (even though they cost less) over the sawyers. Thoughts? Experience? Can the drop forged aluminum be bent back into shape with a river cobble? Does it even spread out like other oar locks? Any one think I should save my money for booze and drugs and keep the pins and clips?
I don't have enough miles on my new atomic aluminum oarlocks yet to say authoritatively that you will never ever have a problem with them, but they are badass lightweight.

Aluminum should be elastic enough to spring back to shape if you spring an oar, and you should never have to do riverside forging with appropriately sized cobbles.

I watched the NRS video. On paper, they look like an equal in strength to the Superston oarlocks.

I hate pins and clips. Next question.

Also budget for oar sleeves/rope wraps, and oar rights or oar stops.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #3

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Since I upgraded to the cobras I no longer need to do any oar lock tuning with river cobbles. They are very beefy and I haven't knocked them out of shape in over three seasons.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012   #4

Searching for water....., Idaho
I had the Atomic aor locks and although they are light and strong they are too hard for the NRS oar towers. In 15-20 days on the river they turned my towers holes into ovals so things got really sloppy front to back. The atomic locks are very strong and so hopefully there would be no deformation of the horns but I am sure you will not be able to tweak them back like a "bronze" oarlock, they will most likely fail catosrophically if they do at all.

I think the atomic locks would be good with a steel frame but they forged aluminum is just too hard and rigid for the cast aluminum NRS towers. NRS was very good(as usual) and warrantied the locks and towers so I am now running their superston oar locks with new towers.

If I were you I would go with the cobras or superston if you have an aluminum frame, but if its steel go for the Atomics.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Interesting point! It would be the hard anodizing on the Atomics that would abrade the softer, non-anodized tower. I've run mine in a welded steel frame, and pulled them out this morning and was pleasantly surprised that the anodizing wasn't marred in the slightest by the steel bushing. Pretty cool.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #6

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
i have the cobras with threaded lock nut and love em.. +1 for the sawyers
Old 07-26-2012   #7

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Steve at Andy/Bax was mentioning these

http://pro-loks.com/Work.html

they look pretty badd ass ---- and the theoretically breakable components looks like you could probably carry a spare. and you don't need rope or oar sleeves ---

I like the idea that they aren't going to pop out but they don't look like they were made in someones garage and you can flip the oars over (away from the detent) if you want to feather them ...
Old 07-26-2012   #8

New Castle, Colorado
Sounds like the sawyers may still be the choice as I have the NRS frame oar mounts. Might give NRS a call and see what they say about that ovaling issue.
Old 07-26-2012   #9

New Castle, Colorado
Talked to someone at NRS. They said ovaling hasn't been an issue. If something did happen sounds like they'd take care of it. Anyone else have this issue with these oarlocks?
Old 07-28-2012   #10

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
I have had no problems with the aluminium oar locks. Poped an oar out in cable and when I came back to my shop Ther was only 15 thousands difference between the two oar locks. It sprang back to it's origional shape. No need to stick it in a vice. The shanks are .608 and cobras are .625 so that will cause some slop. Ream your holes out and put in some bronze bushings if you are worried about wear.
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote