Oar length - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-01-2013   #1
Alaskagrown

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Oar length

I just bought a new 13' Tributary. I have an opportunity to get a great deal on a set of 9.5' Cataract oars. Is 9.5' too long for a 13' boat. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Rogue Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013   #2

East, Idaho
better than too short

they are not hard to cut down
trailcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Hey Warrior.

Search cutting cataracts a post i made

Depending on your frame width, 9.5 may be long, but as mentioned, too long is better than too short.. My buddy runs 9' on his 60" frame on his 13' sb

I run 9.5's on my 66" cat frame. I run 11's on a 72" frame with much bigger tubes.

I'd try them out a few runs before even thinking about chopping.

How much was the trib? How much for the oars? Need any other gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013   #4
Alaskagrown

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for the advise Avatard. I've never heard of cutting them down. I just bought the boat brand new for $2000 and I already bought the oar shafts new for $99 each. Probably would have bought 9' but 9.5 was all they had left. I'm having a frame and dry how built right now by Recretec Mfg. here in Corvallis so I have most of the big stuff but will still need random gear such as yeti cooler (I can get a 125 qt. @ 10% off) a perimeter line, throw lines, gear hammock, river table, etc.
Rogue Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
First the most important question......where did you buy a new Trib 13 for $2000, and Cataract oars for $99????? Pass that info along river brother

Your oar length will be influenced a little by your rowing geometry. Are you rowing from a dry box or seat? Is it a tall box or seat that will have you sitting a little bit high? If you're higher up, you might need longer oars. I have suffered with "too short oar syndrome" in the past, and it sucks to have to buy new oars. I'd try them out first to see how they feel, and go from there.
FWIW - I had 9 ft. oars on a 14X24 cat with a 66 inch wide frame, rowing from a dry boat with a flip seat bracket. They were fine with the NRS seat bar, but too short after I raised my rowing position. I changed to taller towers & 9.5 ft. oars. Much better. I'm in the process of buying and setting up a small raft (11-12 ft) with probably a 54 inch frame. The NRS fit guide says 7.5 ft. oars, but I'm thinking that 8 ft. is better. Input from others with small rafts backs this up. I sure don't want them too short again. Have fun with your new boat. Are you getting the Recretec frame with the lock-in dry boxes? My buddy has those and they are sweet.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #6

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Warrior View Post
Thanks for the advise Avatard. I've never heard of cutting them down. I just bought the boat brand new for $2000 and I already bought the oar shafts new for $99 each. Probably would have bought 9' but 9.5 was all they had left. I'm having a frame and dry how built right now by Recretec Mfg. here in Corvallis so I have most of the big stuff but will still need random gear such as yeti cooler (I can get a 125 qt. @ 10% off) a perimeter line, throw lines, gear hammock, river table, etc.
Will the 125 qt fit in the 13' boat?
Old 02-02-2013   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Warrior View Post
Check out these coolers....I saw them at the Denver Sportsman Show.....No I don't work for them.
ICEHOLEŽ High-Performance Coolers - Icehole
Old 02-02-2013   #8

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post

Check out these coolers....I saw them at the Denver Sportsman Show.....No I don't work for them.
ICEHOLEŽ High-Performance Coolers - Icehole
Go with the Fargin Icehole!!!
Old 02-02-2013   #9
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
I have an aire Super Duper Puma. The spec width of my model year was 5'11" I use 8.5' oars on tight and technical water. On big water or long flatwater I use a 1' extension = 9.5'

the 13' trib has a 6'8" spec, so I suspect the 9.5' oars should work just fine for you.
the tubes are 19", so the minimum frame width you want is where the side frame rail runs right down the center of the tube which = 61" (6'8"-9.5"-9.5"). But most folks like the side rails out side a little farther so a 64 to 66" width frame would probably be optimal.

Bottom line the 9.5' oars shouldn't feel way to long, they will work fine. If they seam a little long after several uses, Probably better to keep the 9.5' oars and look around for some 9' ers, 8.5' will be too short for sure.

The spec drawing for the 13' trib is here to help with dimension planning.
http://www.aire.com/aire/images/prod...013.0%20SB.pdf

I have cut down carslisle oars (from the handle side) and it is fairly easy to do with a chop saw with carbide tooth blade to make the square cuttoff at desired length, angle grinder with cutting disk to remove the left over oar shaft that is still on the handle shank, screw driver to pry off the oar shaft excess after you score a cut length wise down the excess on the handle, and epoxy to re-attach the handle to the cut down shaft.

However if you are going from 9.5' to 9' you are only cutting off 6". I don't know how long the handle shank extends into the shaft on the cataract oars. On the carslilses the shank is about 5 or 6". So you don't have much room for error when wanting to cutt off only 6"
shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #10

portland, Oregon
Its just a little over 6" of shaft. You wont lose anything structural in the handle. There will be a sliver of handle and some epoxy remaining in the shaft that needs some cleanout, but easy enough to pry this out

The problem with cutting down carlisles is the longer ones have an inner aluminum sleeve. This interferes with reinserting the handles. You need a lathe to turn down the handles so they fit but it can be done