Mountain Buzz banner

Oar blades square vs shoal cut

Tags
blade
27K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Chris Queen 
#1 ·
As I get ready to purchase new oars I am looking for your experiences with standard "square" blades vs shoal cut blades.

I have never used anything but square blades, they are great in big water where pulling power counts, but later in the season during bony conditions they leave a little to be desired.

The reality is that I now live upstream where I am running lower volume water more frequently. I don't know how many more 50K+ Cat trips I will see and buying big water gear doesn't make sense if there is a better option.

So for those who have run both, will I hate a shoal cut blade? Is the juice worth the squeeze?

#3 ·
Get ahold of Aaron with Sawyer in Grand Junction, he's in Moab this weekend but can arrange a demo row. Personally, I've used the Shoal Cut blades for guiding anglers and running WW (MF Salmon, Selway, GR) and appreciate the additional volume per stroke in lower water. That being said, if you're only pushing downstream the classic shape of a WW blade is very good.

#5 ·
I haven't tried them yet, but nrs has a cheaper option for that design concept of oar blade...

https://www.nrs.com/product/77290.01/nrs-helix-oar-blade

I bought a pair because I'm often running boney rivers. I will try to remember to report back after I try them.

Also of interest is that these blades are quite a bit lighter than cataract magnum blades, and even a little lighter than Carlisle outfitter 6.5" blades... Even though the helix is 7.25" wide, and 2" longer at 29".

The spine of the helix blade seems to be some sort of carbon plastic instead of metal like the Carlisle. That explains the weight difference, and also means that bending a blade is unlikely, but breaking one is more possible. Time will tell on durability.

#6 ·
I have both, the shoal cut blades make the oar feel longer. I have 9, 9.5 and 10' shafts and found I like them best on the 9 or 9.5 shafts on the 10'ers they feel too long and have a lot of grab. They row nice in shallow water and are fine in deep water. With that said, I don't know that I'd buy them again... no specific reason why, I just don't see that much of a benefit. It's certainly not a night and day difference but maybe if you feel your oars are a little short, they might give you a bit more reach as the meat of blade is a few inches farther out the oar.

#9 ·
So after all that BS I spewed yesterday I stumbled onto 2 nearly new shoal cut blades last night and bought 'em. $100 a piece plus a canyon prospector for another 250.... all in all a great evening of craigslist shopping!

I'm now super excited to try the shoal cuts on my 9 foot sticks again.

#11 ·
I did a back to back comparison between cataract magnum blades and my new nrs helix.

I didn't notice a big difference in how they feathered but I'm very new to feathering so take that with a grain of salt.

I did notice that the magnum seem to float more than the helix, but helix still seemed to float... The blade didn't sink to infinity when I let go of the handle.

One positive I did notice to the "shoal cut" concept is that when my downstream oar clipped the bottom, it wasn't jarring and the oar didn't want to propel itself towards my face... The curve on the bottom of the blade meant it just bumped up vertically. I like this.

#28 ·
Another data point to add to the conversation:

Oars need the most area out at the tip where the lever is longest.
A square cut tip will have less "vortex shedding" as water moves from the high pressure area at the face of the blade to "fill in" the low pressure area behind the blade. The parallel edges and square tip force the vortices to the end, and it's a short area...so less vortex shedding. On a curved/asymmetrical blade, the outboard half of the blade has vortices spiraling around.
To get the same "bite", an asymmetrical blade will need more surface area.
So you may have more drag when rowing into the wind (if you don't feather your oars)

If you don't ever row into the wind, you will probably never notice it.

#12 ·
OP-
What did you end up buying?

I have shoal cut blades and smokers and prefer the shoal cut in almost every instance. Probably because it's what I'm use to. I float rocky rivers and fish a lot....but almost always take them on my whitewater trips too. Now that I'm use to using them...I can't see the disadvantage even in deep water. I'm sure someone at Sawyer can explain why.

#17 ·
I have been using the NRS helix for 2 seasons now for WW. They are very light and float well. They also seem to be very durable (which I was concerned about at first). They work great for the shallow rivers we like to run like the Piedra and Upper A. I also used them on the Middle Fork and they were perfect. I highly recommend!

#23 ·
I can vouch for Helix durability--smashed one of mine into a wall in Westwater at a fairly decent velocity while trying to rescue a swimmer from another boat. That impact would have exploded the previous blades I've used, but it just bent the tip of the Helix. Straightened the tip and its still on my boat as a spare. We were concerned about durability as well, but after the lack of water last season and numerous rock strikes, they're all fine.

#24 ·
A little feed back after using them this season

I don't feel like I lost anything switching from a square cut blade in any water conditions.

I feel like I get more blade in the water during shallow conditions, I have more confidence that when I take a stroke I am going to get a good bite

As has been mentioned they dont catch on the bottom and try to know out more of my teeth

In summary I like them, will likely never go back to a square cut blade

#30 ·
Thanks for the offer BG, that was super nice of you! I got hold of NRS and they said "We have made some upgrades in the construction of the Helix Blade. The outside hasn't changed but made the construction stronger. We are expecting our new model in a week from now." So...looks like I'll be able to find them on the website again soon with a new part number 77290.02.100! I'm hoping the changes don't affect the weight much, their light weight in spite of their size was a big part of why I bought them over other asymmetrical blades.

#31 ·
Has anyone else who uses these run into problems with the locking button getting stuck down so it won't engage in the hole in the oar?

Seems like the same design idea as every other oar blade but none of my other blades have ever had this problem and both of my helix blades are experiencing this issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.