Oar blades square vs shoal cut - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-07-2019   #1
in dry dock

Glenwoody, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Oar blades square vs shoal cut

As I get ready to purchase new oars I am looking for your experiences with standard "square" blades vs shoal cut blades.

I have never used anything but square blades, they are great in big water where pulling power counts, but later in the season during bony conditions they leave a little to be desired.

The reality is that I now live upstream where I am running lower volume water more frequently. I don't know how many more 50K+ Cat trips I will see and buying big water gear doesn't make sense if there is a better option.

So for those who have run both, will I hate a shoal cut blade? Is the juice worth the squeeze?

noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019   #2

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
The folks over at Sawyer station were telling me that the shoal cut are for rowing in shoals, i.e really shallow water. For fishing and stuff. Not their best whitewater blade. Give them a call they can help you best.
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019   #3

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
Get ahold of Aaron with Sawyer in Grand Junction, he's in Moab this weekend but can arrange a demo row. Personally, I've used the Shoal Cut blades for guiding anglers and running WW (MF Salmon, Selway, GR) and appreciate the additional volume per stroke in lower water. That being said, if you're only pushing downstream the classic shape of a WW blade is very good.
GOTY2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019   #4

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Love my cataract shoal cuts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97FE6AF2-F56F-404F-82D3-F9E77EBE2C34_1557316706639.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	34613  
FlyingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019   #5

Calgary, Alberta
I haven't tried them yet, but nrs has a cheaper option for that design concept of oar blade...

https://www.nrs.com/product/77290.01...elix-oar-blade

I bought a pair because I'm often running boney rivers. I will try to remember to report back after I try them.

Also of interest is that these blades are quite a bit lighter than cataract magnum blades, and even a little lighter than Carlisle outfitter 6.5" blades... Even though the helix is 7.25" wide, and 2" longer at 29".

The spine of the helix blade seems to be some sort of carbon plastic instead of metal like the Carlisle. That explains the weight difference, and also means that bending a blade is unlikely, but breaking one is more possible. Time will tell on durability.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I have both, the shoal cut blades make the oar feel longer. I have 9, 9.5 and 10' shafts and found I like them best on the 9 or 9.5 shafts on the 10'ers they feel too long and have a lot of grab. They row nice in shallow water and are fine in deep water. With that said, I don't know that I'd buy them again... no specific reason why, I just don't see that much of a benefit. It's certainly not a night and day difference but maybe if you feel your oars are a little short, they might give you a bit more reach as the meat of blade is a few inches farther out the oar.
Old 05-08-2019   #7

Hampden, Massachusetts
You might occasionally notice some slight rotational torque on the shafts due to the shoal cut blades. But the torque is really not enough to make me want to go back to regular or magnum blades. Shoal cuts for me and the technical rivers I like to run.
Old 05-08-2019   #8

Hampden, Massachusetts
FYI. I have not tried the helix. Only the cataracts.
Old 05-09-2019   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
So after all that BS I spewed yesterday I stumbled onto 2 nearly new shoal cut blades last night and bought 'em. $100 a piece plus a canyon prospector for another 250.... all in all a great evening of craigslist shopping!

I'm now super excited to try the shoal cuts on my 9 foot sticks again.
Old 05-10-2019   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
So after all that BS I spewed yesterday I stumbled onto 2 nearly new shoal cut blades last night and bought 'em. $100 a piece plus a canyon prospector for another 250.... all in all a great evening of craigslist shopping!

I'm now super excited to try the shoal cuts on my 9 foot sticks again.
I'm loving my shoal cuts so far. Have had them on the Smith and NF of the Flathead. They are perfect for MT rivers.
SERE Nate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blade