oar blades horizontal in non-power stroke? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-17-2013   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
oar blades horizontal in non-power stroke?

Yeah, I'm new to rowing, so mostly flatwater. I don't use oar rights, but I tend to keep the blades perpendicular to the water even when moving them through the air.
Wondering (when the water gets rougher): it seems that perpendicular blades, during the non-power stroke, could get caught by a wave and stop (or turn) the boat. Is it better technique in that situation to turn the blades horizontal to the water during the non-propulsion stroke? (If they are horizontal, it wouldn't hardly matter if the blades wee in or out of the water?) If so, perhaps it is a good habit even on flat water to turn the blades horizontal???? I hope I was okay in verbalizing a visual. (Or maybe you just raise the oars higher into the air in rougher water when not pulling/pushing the boat?).
Thanks for the help.

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013   #2
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I wouldn't want to be turning my blades flat in the big stuff. I don't worry about a wave "catching" it or needing more clearance. It's more about timing the stroke and configuring your setup. There are times when the blade won't even reach the water!

I turn my blades flat during a stroke when it's blowing hard and I'm against it to give me a slight edge. Otherwise, practice twisting the blade from entry to the water to the end of the stroke for the smoothest, most powerful stroke you can acheive.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #3

Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Feathering your oars is a skill acquired over time.

Is also a Buzzard controversial subject only bested by, "Pins n Clips vs. Oar Locks" " Urethane vs. Hypalon" etc. etc.

You may ask for responses from those that actually row. May help separate the wheat from the chaff.

Good Luck, whatever you do keep rowing, See You On The River !!
mrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013   #4
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
Yeah, I'm new to rowing, so mostly flatwater. I don't use oar rights, but I tend to keep the blades perpendicular to the water even when moving them through the air.
Wondering (when the water gets rougher): it seems that perpendicular blades, during the non-power stroke, could get caught by a wave and stop (or turn) the boat. Is it better technique in that situation to turn the blades horizontal to the water during the non-propulsion stroke? (If they are horizontal, it wouldn't hardly matter if the blades wee in or out of the water?) If so, perhaps it is a good habit even on flat water to turn the blades horizontal???? I hope I was okay in verbalizing a visual. (Or maybe you just raise the oars higher into the air in rougher water when not pulling/pushing the boat?).
Thanks for the help.
Dude!
You are massively over thinking the entire thing.
Get in your boat and go.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
Fortunately for me, my massive over-thinking does coexist with getting in my boat and going!
Old 05-17-2013   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
My rafting buddy cut his oar rights short and locks in during rapids. Otherwise he pulls the oars back, flips them over, and feathers with each stroke. I tried it once. Too much wrist turning for me, and as Schutzie said, too much thinking about it. My buddy has been doing it for years and it is automatic for him. I hated it.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Thanks, all, I didn't realize it was simply called feathering! (I feather my kayak paddles but didn't make the leap.)
Apparently no need to begin a habit of feathering -- I'll experiment a bit next time out; maybe try not taking the blades out of the water (I guess that might be "skulling" if I can make that leap).
Thanks again.