Numbers Bridge Clearance? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-08-2016   #1
willpaddle4food

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Numbers Bridge Clearance?

Is there a known cut off of cfs for getting a boat under the lowest bridge on the numbers?

willpaddle4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016   #2

Denver, Colorado
The guides for WA that were at my swift water rescue course said it was not passable at 34 I believe. They were thinking it would close Monday, the 6th, this was on the 5th when I left
jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016   #3
willpaddle4food

Fruita, Colorado
Hmm. I'm thinking it's a lot lower than 3400, if we're talking about the numbers on the arkansas river, colorado.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2016   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Not super helpful, but I have rowed under it without too much difficulty at 2600 and put-in below it at 4k. My recollection from 4k is it would have gone if you had been in the exact right spot but that wasn't a guarantee at that point.

Definitely scout it. Its right at the turnoff for the gravel road to the put-in. If you don't like what you see, just put in right there. My recollection is you can do this 100% on state land without trespassing on either private land or the railroad ROW. You miss #1 which is a bummer and your very first feature is the hole in 1.5 without warm up!

Report back.
Old 06-09-2016   #5

DURANGO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
QUOTE "Its right at the turnoff for the gravel road to the put-in. If you don't like what you see, just put in right there. My recollection is you can do this 100% on state land without trespassing on either private land or the railroad ROW."

We used to launch there (river right) and just above the bridge (after #1) on river left.
on a rainy day about 18 years we tried to put in on that gravel bar (river right below the bridge) and all five of us got ticketed. I'm pretty sure it's private land. Would like to know otherwise.
Old 06-09-2016   #6

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearen View Post
Not super helpful, but I have rowed under it without too much difficulty at 2600 and put-in below it at 4k. My recollection from 4k is it would have gone if you had been in the exact right spot but that wasn't a guarantee at that point.

Definitely scout it. Its right at the turnoff for the gravel road to the put-in. If you don't like what you see, just put in right there. My recollection is you can do this 100% on state land without trespassing on either private land or the railroad ROW. You miss #1 which is a bummer and your very first feature is the hole in 1.5 without warm up!

Report back.
#1/1.5 is pretty much washed out at 3000. Does it come back in higher?
ColoradoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Curious to know when you're going down there? It would be cool to meet a fellow boater from Fruita as I'm new here and don't know any boaters yet.

I'm leaving Fruita tomorrow afternoon going solo with the intention of showing up to run anything I can find paddlers for to fill up my 14ft raft for whether it is Numbers, Royal Gorge, Browns.
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The eddy and beach just below the bridge at the bottom of #1 is definitely Private Property. It is posted so, and you will get ticketed and/or the sheriff called for trespass. I have met the property owners and they are protective of their land.

Most of #1 washes out as the water gets higher, but there is a couple monster holes that form. #1.5 gets a massive wave hole that has world class surf at somewhere around 3500 or more (if I remember correct).
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016   #9
willpaddle4food

Fruita, Colorado
All good stuff to know. Just found the official viewpoint from AHRA 2016 bridge guidelines, based on average oar height, for Scott's Bridge: 2500cfs, on the right.