NRS wholesale account holders. Is it just me? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 03-18-2017   #1

Ulm, Mountaina
Paddling Since: 1996
NRS wholesale account holders. Is it just me?

So I'm trying to sell some oar shafts in the classifieds and I thought my price was a hell of a deal at $65 off for new sticks which is below the wholesale price according to some. At first I was surprised at how many people contacted me and told me that they would be interested if I would only beat their discount price by even more. But now it has started to really bother me.

It seems like NRS hands these accounts out like candy, especially to forest service employees who have nothing to do with rafting. But then on top of it all they hold their discount over my head for an EVEN lower price. One recent Buzzard even told me that if I was "kinder" they would have shared the account with me.

I would have thought that sharing and using the account against private sellers would be against the account terms. Is it just me or is that bad form?

Jonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017   #2

Ulm, Mountaina
Paddling Since: 1996
After re-reading my post I just realized that I probably just stepped on a lot of PeePee's here on the MountainBuzz.

I'm not trying to stir the pot. I should have mentioned that some of the aforementioned parties acted like I was overcharging since I wasn't further below their wholesale price and they were pretty rude about it. It is just getting to me and probably should have been more diplmatic about it. Sorry.

I guess my point was that if I had a wholesale account I would whistle my way to the river with it, keep it to myself and not make other people feel bad about it.
Jonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017   #3

I would say that NRS is very generous to the people who work in the industry If that is not you then please do not ruin things for others. Thx!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Its definitely a low blow to come on and flout your prodeal . I agree that I'd just use it and not try to deal with it.

That said, I do like to haggle and I'm all about trying to get a better deal so I'll often offer substantially less to see if they'll bite. I'm prepared for them to tell me to pound sand but its always worth making the offer.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #5

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
While I can not speak for all who receive pro-deals. It is a good thing for all involved, those who work in industry don't make much money and the deals make it affordable to purchase gear for work and personal gear. It looks good for NRS to have customers seeing their river guides wearing or using NRS gear. I for one do not share my pro-deal in fear of ruining it for myself and others. As far as the park service employees receiving the deal, I think that is pretty awesome too. Those folks are not paid much either and work to protect the areas we enjoy so much. The problem isn't that too many people receive pro-deals but that too many people overcharge for their used equipment.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #6

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashzg View Post
I would say that NRS is very generous to the people who work in the industry If that is not you then please do not ruin things for others. Thx!
Sounds to me like some individuals with pro deals ARE trying to ruin it for others. I don't resent anyone in the industry getting a pro deal BUT when the rest of us are paying retail for them to shake their pro deal in the face of someone selling good used gear smells bad to me. Besides, if the pro deal is so good why are they looking to buy used in the first place?
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #7

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
I didn't mean to imply that you were over charging for once used nice oars. That was a general statement. It may not be a great deal for someone who qualifies for a pro-deal but it is a good price for many others. I just see alot of people selling their old shit for too much.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #8
Down in Brazil

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
NRS wholesale account holders. Is it just me?

I have an NRS outfitter account so I very rarely buy used gear but I have bought some used things that were great deals all around. Never mention my account. It is a good deal for me or it isn't. Anyone that throws that out is a jerk in my opinion. Did I just do that lol.

If your having problems message me privately what u have and I can tell u the wholesale price. I don't think it is top secret info.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 03-20-2017   #9

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Discounts on River Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzilla View Post
So I'm trying to sell some oar shafts in the classifieds and I thought my price was a hell of a deal at $65 off for new sticks which is below the wholesale price according to some. At first I was surprised at how many people contacted me and told me that they would be interested if I would only beat their discount price by even more. But now it has started to really bother me.

It seems like NRS hands these accounts out like candy, especially to forest service employees who have nothing to do with rafting. But then on top of it all they hold their discount over my head for an EVEN lower price. One recent Buzzard even told me that if I was "kinder" they would have shared the account with me.

I would have thought that sharing and using the account against private sellers would be against the account terms. Is it just me or is that bad form?
Perhaps One Can View this from Another Angle:
If your river gear retailer is discriminating by offering discounts to some and not you, perhaps you should rethink your river gear retailer.....unless or course you like getting porked.
Old 03-20-2017   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Nrs pro deal isn't that great... it's nice but other industries are much better, but then again NRS margins simply suck too. I'm glad I don't work in this industry.

With that said, my guess is your price is too high. If you get called out once, it might be them, twice it might be you, three times it probably is you, four? Remove the add, wait a few weeks and try at 25% lower. I'm not buying used oars for 75% of retail regardless of if I can get a pro deal or not... and nrs prodeal isn't much better Than 25% off, especially on things they don't manufacture.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app