NRS Raft Leak - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

NRS Raft Leak

So hoping someone might have a trick. I have a relatively new NRS Otter in a small fleet, and have had to do lots of patching on various boats over the years, however this one is troubling me. It has NO obvious area that is worn or a hole or anything that looks like it should be leaking from. However, it leaks from all three chambers and the floor equally in 24hrs. I soapy water sprayed the valves and around a few other areas and nothing, but all chambers/floor leak about the same in a 24 hr period, it is really odd.

I pumped it up to a nice tight 2.5-3psi, and a 16' NRS E-160 that has PLENTY of patches and is a good 23+ years old and it held the same over the course of a week, the 14' 142 otter however come morning (inflated inside in a controlled climate at about 68-72 degree room) was deflated all around to barely 1psi. Pumped up again to 2.5-3 and next morning, barely at 1psi all around. 3rd time, same thing while the 16' expedition with a plethora of patch work and 20+ year old valves holds fine. The 14' is about 6-7 years old, but I would be a cumulative 20-30 days on the water in that time. I didn't deflate it, kept adding air and in the controlled temp room, i am ruling out air temp fluctuations, specially since the other raft had no change. I haven't covered the entire thing in full on soapy water yet (still too cold outside and the room they are in is carpeted), but feel I will have to. Just frustrating as it is one of the newer rafts we have! Plus more odd that all the chambers and floor deflate the same amount each time, and in a locked room that only i have access to, so no one is messing with me.

Any thoughts or ideas would be delightful! Thanks.

northernroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Gonna have to soap it and find the leaks.

Tighten the valves and make sure the cap gaskets are clean and snug.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Looks like 7 years is the warranty expiration...might call NRS and have them noodle the problem, since you have done tests of your own; did it just start leaking or ongoing problem...defective chamber?

Best of luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Thought possibly, but the oddity is all three chambers and floor leaking roughly the same amount, at least the three chambers for sure. Hard it imagine all three would be bad and allowing to leak out of one spot.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Hum, will have to check out the valves and see if tightening, hadn't thought that one.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Not sure of NRS but distending chamber bladders can cause your symptom. That is, you lose air in one chamber and you will lose pressure in all chambers.

Some boats have bladder boundaries that will move a substantial distance into an adjacent failed chamber. Hence, gradual lose of integrity in one chamber might be accommodated by pressure in an adjacent chamber.

zbaird is the pro and will be better at explaining this than I. For that matter I don't even know if this feature still exists but it might explain your perplexion, lose in one chamber but lose in all.

(Maybe I should have read this for more detail. Northernroots likely considered what I mention.)
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Good suggestion from Zach regarding valves and cap gaskets...if there is an actual rubber gasket within, might replace or at least try some Vaseline to soften them. I learned this the hard way....my Camelbak (yes, I know it is not a boat) gasket in the screw cover literally crumbled in my hands as I was filling the bladder the night before a 6 day backpack in the Canyon; horror of horrors, no way to seal it and 20 minutes before Babbitt's closed...made it there in time, but the real horror was paying top dollar, no discount for a new Camelbak!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Golden, Colorado
Dude, in the time it took you to make these posts you could have soaped your dang boat. Just do it. Youíve got leaks, find them.

It ainít rocket science. 5 gallon bucket, water, Dawn and wet a towel. You donít gotta take six hours to spray it down with your wifeís empty perfume bottle.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I reread for details. Too much. GOOD LUCK. Work with zbaird.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
find it

First pump up everything to 2 pounds. Then put soapy water in each valve opening and see if it bubbles. Use it or fix it.
Second each valve should have a black plastic ring between the valve body and the hypalon shell, and that ring should have the ribs pushing against the hypalon not the valve body. So if the plastic rings are at least there pump up the boat and spray plenty of soapy water around the valves. No bubbles use it, bubbles take it apart and check the direction of the ribs on the ring, no rings means get new rings. In the floor if you get no bubbles at the valve with either test, you have a floor leak. For the perimeter If you have the valves working properly, then leave two perimeter chamber valves caps off and valve open, inflate the remaining chamber and see how long it takes to go down. Then do the same with a different chamber, Then do the same with the third chamber. Then inflate the entire boat and see how long it takes to go down. If the individual chamber or chambers lose air substantially quicker than the entire boat that would be a leaking baffle between chambers as the air is escaping through the adjacent chambers open valve. I have a raft with four perimeter chambers, if open two valves diagonal from each other and inflate the other two, in a couple hours I have lost all pressure. Reverse the situation and I get the same result. Close up all the valves and inflate and it holds pressure fine. My baffles all are leaking but the raft is OK too use for some day use.
Priceless is offline   Reply With Quote