NRS Raft Leak - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
This is begging for the reminder to equalize pressure when inflating chambers.

Please someone, (zbaird), remind that inflation of tubes is a constant thought process of equalizing the pressure between chambers such that the baffle/barrier between cambers is centralized.

Does this consideration still exist??? May I ask?

GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12

Golden, Colorado
Wow, "Priceless" is priceless. More than I'd said but "Priceless".
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13

Eagle, Colorado
If it is a really slow leak (it sounds it) try using more soap then water (a thicker solution) so it actually sticks to the valves. This way you will capture the every 10 - 15 minute bubble.... If you leave it and the soap dries you will still have "evidence" of what is going on.
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14

Golden, Colorado
Heís not looking for a every 10-15 minute bubble if itís dumping out in less than 24 hours. They will be obvious bubbles from steady leaks.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15

Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
Had a very old Otter with same problem. Patched any obvious leaks changed valves - no better. Tried inflatable marine sealant that you put inside the tubes and roll raft around and it fills in from inside. Didn’t do the floor - just put air in mid float. It is like a new boat. We have another boat now so just use it for day trips, but it holds air all day. Apparently there’s a problem with multiple pin holes with old hypalon boats.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16

As others have mentioned, with the chambers fully inflated, apply soapy water all over the boat.

For a slow leak a good trick is to make a solution of glycerin (find at a pharmacy) and water. This solution will make higher tensile-strength bubbles that will pinpoint a leak that regular soap won't.
raft2live@nrs.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Just guessing because I dont know but could the coating on the material be defective? Maybe not enough rubber on the fabric that the whole boat is made from allows air to escape?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18

St. George, Utah
I used some NRS hypalon fabric as filler rings when I changed my AVON valve boots to A7 valves. After about 5 years the fabric developed pin hole leaks. Took me a while to find them, soapy water made very small bubbles all over the fabric when pumped up very tight. I had to patch over them to regain air holding ability. Just guessing but as others have said that may be your problem.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19

Boulder, Colorado
Give Zach at inflatable technology a call. There is a sealant you can pour in the valve holes that should stop those leaks. Not sure if itís avail for hypalon boats.
CU_Mateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20

Been out of town for a while so not seen most replies, but to answer a few:
1. have VERY soapy mixture sprayed the valves and nothing leaking there,
2. have equally inflated all chambers correctly,
3. have not fully saturated, completely coated the raft yet, mainly as it is still barely 20 degrees outside and only in a classroom do I have the ability currently to spray it with a min 50/50 soap to water mix. Pretty sure it would be frowned upon to hose it down in there unfortunately.

Will check out the rest hopefully tomorrow and see if I can find out anything more.
northernroots is offline   Reply With Quote