NRS outlaw 14' raft questions? who has one? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 12-25-2014   #1

all over colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
NRS outlaw 14' raft questions? who has one?

Looking at purchasing a raft to throw a fishing frame on it to guide out of this summer. Ive been doing nothing but research on boats lately. Im not on a strict budget but on a budget none the less. Im leaning towards an NRS outlaw I really like the drop stitch floor for a stiff floor for fishing and the 2,000 is a great price. However whats the durability of this boat? How long can I expect it to last.
Also looking at a 14' RMR raft still a good price point and they seem to be making better rafts. my goal is to spend 4000 on a boat and frame setup, give or take 500.
I do not want a Saturn I hear much more bad then good about Saturn.
on a side note I have a chance to but a super puma with a fishing frame the boat however has seen a few 100plus days on the water and i work about its durability. he wants 4000 for it. is it a good deal? i feel its over priced. i also think a 14' boat will be better for guiding. i look forward to hearing from you guys thanks.

mtnkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2014   #2
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
They are new to market, so probably not a lot of feedback yet. RMR also makes a 14' drop stitch floor model, and I do have some experience with it. (In fact, I am hitting the river with him tomorrow) I like the RMR boats for their construction and the amount of protection, they have frame chafes and the floors and side tubes are wrapped. They are not light, and they don't roll up really well. I don't know how the Outlaw compares in weight and rolling up.
If you get the Outlaw, let us know how it goes
Old 12-26-2014   #3

Cave Creek, Arizona
I don't have any experience with either the NRS Outlaw or the RMR. Both are Chinese made boats, but both made by quality companies from what I hear. I looked into the NRS Outlaw when I was looking for my boat. and like you could not find much on them. I do however remember reading something like the floor is not the same as other rafts and was something to avoid.

The RMR has some features of higher end boats including the lace in floor. From what I hear RMR started off a little sketchy, but have become quality boats that a lot of people are really enjoying.

As far as the Puma goes, it really depends on a lot of variable on weather or not that is a good deal. How old is the boat, what type of frame, thwarts, any patches... It retails for about $3000 without thwarts and $3700 with 3 thwarts.

The 14' Tributary (Aires Chinese boat) is $3000 retail standard with 3 thwarts, and a laced in drop stitch floor. I am a big fan of Aire and I like the bladder system they use. PS the Tributary and RMR boats both have a 5 year warranty.

http://www.nrs.com/product/86039.01/...-bailing-rafts

http://rockymountainrafts.com/14_raft.html

http://aire.com/aire/products/default.aspx?id=204

http://aire.com/aire/products/default.aspx?id=222

Hope this helps!
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2014   #4

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I have not really heard from anyone who has rowed or put hands on an outlaw. I believe the floor is a glued down drop stich designed similarly to the saturn floors that get all the flack for foot entrapment. I was disappointed when I relaized NRS had gone that route for the floor, even though I'm not *really* sure it's a huge issue. From NRS I expect it to be plenty durable and it is really light right? I like light boats, which the RMRs are definitely NOT light.

IMO that puma is overpriced.

I'm with steve in that I would consider a tributary in your situation.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014   #5
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
The Aire floors (including the trib) are an I-beam design inside of the floor pocket, they are more like a typical floor than a drop stitch floor. They look smooth on the outside like a drop stitch due to the bladder design. The floor in the Outlaw is not glued down, it uses the BAT attachment system like the thwarts on NRS rafts. So the inflated part of the Outlaw floor can be removed, but the main floor layer is permanently in place. The RMR boats used a lace in floor in either design. (Remember, the drop stitch floor is an option on RMR boats) I had to ask those questions of NRS to find out that much myself.
Old 12-26-2014   #6

Cave Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learch View Post
The Aire floors (including the trib) are an I-beam design inside of the floor pocket, they are more like a typical floor than a drop stitch floor. They look smooth on the outside like a drop stitch due to the bladder design. The floor in the Outlaw is not glued down, it uses the BAT attachment system like the thwarts on NRS rafts. So the inflated part of the Outlaw floor can be removed, but the main floor layer is permanently in place. The RMR boats used a lace in floor in either design. (Remember, the drop stitch floor is an option on RMR boats) I had to ask those questions of NRS to find out that much myself.
My bad. I thought I remembered hearing they were drop stitch. They should still be more stable than a standard I-beam though.

Here are the Aire floor options explained for the OP.

http://aire.com/aire/why_aire/default.aspx?page=8
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014   #7

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
[QUOTE=Learch;383489]floor in the Outlaw is not glued down, it uses the BAT attachment system like the thwarts on NRS rafts.QUOTE]

Thanks for correcting me....now that you mention it I do remember them not being glued and that is precisely what scared me about the design. I did not know they used the BAT attachment system for it.

Maybe it wouldn't be as dangerous but I'm having a hard time envisioning where the BAT loops would be located? On the side of the floor and low on the tubes? On the underside of the drop stitch and top of the floor?
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014   #8
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
If you look on their website I posted a question about it and they responded. Sounds like you deflate the floor and the bat strips are under the floor. I'm not sure I like the design. but I haven't paddled one, so I can't say yet. I like the DS floor on the RMR, made it a point to stand on his raft today.
Old 12-27-2014   #9

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
You can see the floor BAT attachments if you look closely at the underside picture from NRS.
Link to picture here:
http://nrsweb5.richfx.com.edgesuite...._1000x1000.jpg

There are 8 BATs altogether on the floor. 3 on each side and 1 each fore and aft.

I've had my eye on that raft as a cheap loaner raft for my parents and friends. They have some factory imperfects right now for $1600.
wabashabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I've got a 14' Outlaw that I bought as a factory imperfect at the end of the summer. I've only been out on it a couple times so far, so I have limited on-the-water experience with it so far. But, I think it's a great boat for the price. I have several buddies with RMRs, so here are my 2c on the two boats:

NRS Outlaw:
*The drop-stitch floor was great for my buddies fishing off of it
*Bigger tubes (21")
*Wider at 7'2", but feels like it has slightly less storage space due to larger tubes
*Thicker tube material 48oz/sqyd
*Thicker floor material 68oz/sqyd (this is the bottom of the boat floor. the actual drop stitch floor is a completely separate and removable unit, and is thinner than both the floor and the tubes)
*BAT attachment system for floor = totally removable, and the bladder is not directly exposed to abrasion
*Lighter at 145lb (likely due to floor design, less d-rings, handles, less wrap/protection material)
*Additional wear layers on bottom of tubes + up a portion of the side of the tubes (not as high as RMR though)
*Frame chafe strips on top of tubes
*Additional urethane (?) patches on bottom corners
*Inferior outfitting (less handles, d-rings, etc)
*BAT attachment is superior to RMR's card attachment for thwarts (in my opinion)
*Comes with a solid repair kit
*Generally felt like the boat construction was superior; seams were more consistent
*Cheaper

RMR:
*Smaller tubes (20")
*Narrower at 6'10"
*Thinner tube material 44oz/sqyd
*Not sure on floor material weight
*Heavier at 158lb
*Additional wear layers on bottom of tubes + up a portion of the side of the tubes (higher on sides than Outlaw)
*Frame chafe strips on top of tubes
*Superior outfitting (less handles, d-rings, etc.

All in all, they are both great boats for the price point. The RMR seems slightly more burly with the additional wear layers extending further up the side tubes and comes better outfitted from the factory, but you can do a lot of outfitting for the price difference between the RMR and the blemished Outlaw. If they were both $1600, I'd probably choose the RMR with a drop-stitch floor. With the RMR costing about $1k more, I'm happy with my choice of the Outlaw blem with an extra $1k to outfit the boat.

I also got turned on to a website called Active Junky by another 'buzz member; you can sign up for an account with them, follow their link to NRS, and they will give you a 5% refund via paypal (% changes from time to time) for all purchases made at NRS (and a bunch of other web-retailers), which sweetens the deal on the Outlaw blem price. Check it out, here.

Gary over at RaftFrame.com can make you a great frame on a budget as well. Check him out here.

PM me if you need any more info. Cheers.
spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote