NRS Inflatable Drift Boat - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-20-2012   #1

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
NRS Inflatable Drift Boat

Came across this post from the IFTD on another blog and thought it was Buzz-worthy. Curious to see the details and hear how it performs.

Here is the rest of the story so far.

Fly Fishing | Blog | Photos | Podcasts | Travel | Gear | and More - Moldy Chum - It's a floor wax, it's a dessert*topping..........

Dan

boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012   #2

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 1991
NRS Drifter

Looks very unique to me, I will be awaiting more info on the boat. Being an inflatable it is most likely less weight than a similar boat made of glass or aluminum. I wonder how long it will be before we see it on the NRS web site?
Ewetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I think I saw somewhere it weighs around 300 lbs. Coming out in 2013. $6,000. Can be rolled for transport in the back of an SUV, also shipped in the US. It says to inflate to 9 psi, must be good construction to hold those walls up. Looks cool, but I think Ill wait to see some reviews and let them work out a few kinks before getting too excited.
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
cant tell if its self bailing. Looks kinda like a wide canoe with an oar frame.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #5
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpaddler06 View Post
I think I saw somewhere it weighs around 300 lbs. Coming out in 2013. $6,000. Can be rolled for transport in the back of an SUV, also shipped in the US. It says to inflate to 9 psi...
Where did you see this paddler06?
mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #6

Corvallis, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpaddler06 View Post
I think I saw somewhere it weighs around 300 lbs. Coming out in 2013. $6,000. Can be rolled for transport in the back of an SUV, also shipped in the US. It says to inflate to 9 psi, must be good construction to hold those walls up. Looks cool, but I think Ill wait to see some reviews and let them work out a few kinks before getting too excited.

It is self bailing I heard, I can see maybe a benefit in freight costs to alaska or something for fly in. It is simply stand up paddle board technology but put together in the shape of a boat.

If it is NRS most likely it is a korean import costing them about 1200.00 to make and we will be charged 5999.00 They get rich,we pay out the nose while america has no work. Nrs has sold out to overseas, count me out of that I avoid all their import products and try to buy from USA whitewater manufacturers. Kudos for the effort though , I am sure it has its place. Definitely an out of the box idea.
Catboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #7

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catboater1 View Post
It is self bailing I heard, I can see maybe a benefit in freight costs to alaska or something for fly in. It is simply stand up paddle board technology but put together in the shape of a boat.

If it is NRS most likely it is a korean import costing them about 1200.00 to make and we will be charged 5999.00 They get rich,we pay out the nose while america has no work. Nrs has sold out to overseas, count me out of that I avoid all their import products and try to buy from USA whitewater manufacturers. Kudos for the effort though , I am sure it has its place. Definitely an out of the box idea.
So if it was made in the USA it'd be cheaper? You buy only their products that are not imported? On what basis can you say what their manufacturing costs are? Think about it, way more things that you own are made overseas than you might acknowledge. NRS stands by their products no matter where they are made. I know several of the folks that work there, and they do what they can to promote the economy in their area, provide a good product, while balancing the business end of it to stay competitive.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #8

silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catboater1 View Post

STFUP!!!NRS is a great company with great gear at great prices ! Get over it!
bluebtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #9

Corvallis, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
So if it was made in the USA it'd be cheaper? You buy only their products that are not imported? On what basis can you say what their manufacturing costs are? Think about it, way more things that you own are made overseas than you might acknowledge. NRS stands by their products no matter where they are made. I know several of the folks that work there, and they do what they can to promote the economy in their area, provide a good product, while balancing the business end of it to stay competitive.
No it wouldn't be cheaper but at least someone in the USA would be building it! Of course they stand behind the product , they pay 3.00 for it and sell it to you for 40.00 so they can replace it no problem a few times.

Buy all means buy up, sport those MADE IN CHINA TAGS! Buy Bill a bigger house, I am not telling you where to shop. I realize lots of stuff is made over seas I just choose to buy USA on my river gear. The owner of NRS actually started out in Oregon with local USA made gear before he sold out to overseas and went to potato town.

Oh by the way I never said anything bad about the products, the boat was a cool idea. I do own a NRS seat made in Michigan
Catboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjah View Post
Where did you see this paddler06?
From midcurrent. NRS Clearwater Drifter | MidCurrent

This will be sweet if it is SB. I wonder if it will just be a fad thing or if we are looking at the beginning of new drift boats.

Anyone know of anyother company looking into inflatable drift boats?