noob with boat repair questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-11-2013   #1

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
noob with boat repair questions

Hi all, couple question on boat restoration/repair. I have inherited a raft in need of some work.Its a pvc raft, that looks like an unfinished project or a first attempt at araft build. too much to list, so I will start with the floor. The floor needs replacement. the floor is intalled with too much glue. Sould I cut the floor out and glue a new one in, or remove it completely,clean all glue and start from scratch. Also does anyone have experience welding thier own pvc, thinking of doing my own I beam floor FAB(extra float security as the baffles are not airtight)

Thanks
Mike

bellshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013   #2

boise, Idaho
Ide also like to add, I believe it is an unfinished Maravia ( no urethane coating yet) . It was givin to a friend by someone there, then passed on to me , as he did not have any use for it. The boat has alot of potential as the fabric is in excellent condition. Its just real ugly at this point.
Old 08-11-2013   #3

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'm confused whats the difference from cutting the floor out or removing it completely?
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013   #4

boise, Idaho
whoever installed the floor used way too much glue in my opinion, it is turning brown and is hard, in some spots the floor is peeling up. Remember I am New. Im just not sure if it would be better to remove the floor completely and clean all the glue, or cut it out and glue the new floor to the old. the is alot of exxcess glue exposed outside of the floor . I tried to attach a photo but it would not take. I will try again later.
Old 08-11-2013   #5
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If it were me I'd take it to a professional. It's a complicated chemistry. Maybe they'd let you watch. Could be a learning experience.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #6
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
X2 on taking it to a pro.
if you've even done a few minor patches before, it might be fun and worthwhile to take on something like this. but removing a glued in floor and replacing it is a pretty major league job. even if you know what you're doing, if you mess up bad, you might find yourself in way over your head. take it to a real repair shop and see if they'll let you watch/assist.
i'm not from idaho, so i have no clue of any good shops up there. gotta be lots of buzzards with recommendations tho

if you do remove it yourself, try doing an easy day run with no floor!! you might love it!!

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #7

boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
X2 on taking it to a pro.
if you've even done a few minor patches before, it might be fun and worthwhile to take on something like this. but removing a glued in floor and replacing it is a pretty major league job. even if you know what you're doing, if you mess up bad, you might find yourself in way over your head. take it to a real repair shop and see if they'll let you watch/assist.
i'm not from idaho, so i have no clue of any good shops up there. gotta be lots of buzzards with recommendations tho

if you do remove it yourself, try doing an easy day run with no floor!! you might love it!!
Thanks, I would like to do it myself, a lot more appreciation and pride that way. I have already stripped the boat of everything and the old glue. All but the floor, and I have patched it airtight. Riding the boat down the Boise with no floor actually sounds FUN!! Great Idea! I'm sure once winter arrives there will be plenty of people around with advise. Right now everyone is way to busy here.
Old 08-12-2013   #8

Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Heat gun, when the material is hot to the touch on the backs of your fingers, rip it off with a pair of pliers. If it doesn't come off relatively easy take it to a pro.
eljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #9
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I fourth it take it to a pro. If i have to ask questions on how to do it, i bring it to inflable technologies. Id rather not fuck it up
Old 08-13-2013   #10

boise, Idaho
Floor is off, removed it completely. Figured if the exposed glue was brown and cracked. Then it was the same under the floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130813_220838.png
Views:	164
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	6872

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130813_220811.png
Views:	158
Size:	454.8 KB
ID:	6871