Non-alcoholic beverages and snacks for a week long trip - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Non-alcoholic beverages and snacks for a week long trip

What/how much do you bring on a week long trip? What about for kids?

Any ideas to keep it interesting and fun?

kayakingkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Also any tips for packing/ organizing them?
kayakingkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Types of snacks and drinks kind of depends on the temperature of the year. Hot or cold? Beverages: When it's cold it's nice to have a hot drink. Prepare hot drinks in the morning, like hot chocolate, teas, cider, or coffee, and keep them in a Thermos. Juices (most kids like Capri Suns), Gatorades, smaller portions of lemonade or sodas, flavored waters. Avoid sugars and stay hydrated! Good snacks: Fresh or dried fruit, pre-cut vegies, crackers (I like Goldfish!), or cheese sticks. I think a few Jolly Ranchers or other hard candies are a nice treat. Keep all your drinks and snacks close at had, like in a dry box or the top of your cooler.

With kids? Taking kids on a multi-day trip could be a huge challenge. You'll need to get creative. First, let them give you some input. Take frequent breaks and short days. Try games, quizzes, jokes, or "contests". Digital devices? One full charge or set of batteries. Let them learn how to ration and choose play time priorities. Here's something from the dark ages, read a BOOK! Kids can easily get bored so try to keep them engaged and active. Teach them how to row the boat! I have an amazing picture of the smile on the face of my six year old son sitting in my lap with the oars in his hand. Now he's a teenager. He loves his computer, not our raft.
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Capri Suns make great ice packs. Freeze them ALL and they'll be a great reminder to put in with the warmish beers in your beer cooler to be thawed but icy by midday.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Snacks not only taste good they are good for you. Gatorade, water, club soda(cramps, malaria), salty candy bars, salt tablets, chocolates etc. They keep your energy up, help my thinking. For five days I use to take alot of snacks and non-alcoholic beverages. Hunting, skiing, flying, camping etc. I always have plenty.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Additionally, we keep a couple of recycled half gallon juice jugs that were frozen in the cooler. Having ice cold water on day 4-5 is a huge treat for everyone. We also have some drink mixes handy. Powdered gatorade, chai tea mix, that sort of thing helps kids want to put down drinks even when the water in their bottles is a bit warm and "plastic" tasting.

Save a bag of gummy bears for late in the trip as well.

Generally, we keep individually wrapped granola bars, etc. in a captains bag for immediate access, the kids always have a bar in their PFD, and other snacks are in the captain's drybox for quick access.

I am a believer that unless you are trying to dump a Costco cart of snacks into your boat, you can't really have too much for kids. It usually works out to be something like 2-3 individually wrapped snacks per kid per day, plus two drinks, plus bulk snacks in the drybox. We consider it a win if there is still plenty of snacks left for the drive home.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
raymo, Where in the world are you boating where you can get malaria?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhoeher View Post
It's a good excuse to drink G+T's. One can never be too certain!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
It's a good excuse to drink G+T's. One can never be too certain!

LMAO, I always pack fresh mint and limes.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quinine for leg, arm, back cramps.(Tonic Water not Club Soda)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhoeher View Post
Short story, Dave a friend asked me to help fly a Hiller UH 12E Helicopter from Panama City, Central America to Albuquerque NM., took about eight days. He contracted Vivax Malaria. On river trips he would drink tonic water which contains Quinine to prevent night sweats, I had bad leg cramps one time and he told me the Quinine would relieve the cramps and it did, instantly. So I started to carry Tonic Water on rafting trips, hunting, camping, skiing trips for anyone with cramps. Try it, it works great. Yes, gin and tonic sounds good too. Great snack.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote