Newbie rowing low water MFS? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-19-2013   #1

Lardo, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Newbie rowing low water MFS?

So, I drew a permit for the MFS in late july this summer. I have done the river ~15 times from 1.7 - 6.66ft and I want to take my family down. So here's the thing, we have two boats and only I am highly skilled. I will be rowing a loaded 156r along with some of my other boater friends and their 16ft boats, and I was hoping to talk my bro into rowing an unloaded JAG cat. Ideally he would make it to indian and pick up some gear for his boat so he can go off the top real light. BUT, he has never done a low water bump and grind, only high water runs such as main payette, cabarton, lower salmon, and some rowing on the lower owyhee. So buzzards, do you think it would be something he should try?? He is a little apprehensive but I think he would do just fine, he's 24 and very athletic, probably get stuck a ton but it shouldn't be hard to get off with an unloaded cat, right??. Also was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on low water training grounds so to speak around idaho during the spring? probably a stupid question but maybe, owyhee, sf boise, grande rhonde? any other ideas?

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
brother( standing on the buried tubes of his wrapped cat) : "i told you i thought this was a bad idea!!!!"

6FEETandRISING: "but,dude, some total stranger on the buzz said it would be no problem for you!!! "

c'mon dude. sack up and make the call.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6FEETandRISING View Post
So, I drew a permit for the MFS in late july this summer. I have done the river ~15 times from 1.7 - 6.66ft and I want to take my family down. So here's the thing, we have two boats and only I am highly skilled. I will be rowing a loaded 156r along with some of my other boater friends and their 16ft boats, and I was hoping to talk my bro into rowing an unloaded JAG cat. Ideally he would make it to indian and pick up some gear for his boat so he can go off the top real light. BUT, he has never done a low water bump and grind, only high water runs such as main payette, cabarton, lower salmon, and some rowing on the lower owyhee. So buzzards, do you think it would be something he should try?? He is a little apprehensive but I think he would do just fine, he's 24 and very athletic, probably get stuck a ton but it shouldn't be hard to get off with an unloaded cat, right??. Also was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on low water training grounds so to speak around idaho during the spring? probably a stupid question but maybe, owyhee, sf boise, grande rhonde? any other ideas?
Plenty of time for Rome to Birch Creek at low water this year before the Trip. Hit Rome to Birch at 500 cfs with the cat he will row on the MFS. Get out on an early season Bruneau River trip too at low water.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
an unloaded jag? can he see a rock in front of him?

he will be able to go over obstacles that you have to avoid. I'd be more worried about how good he is at helping you get your 156 off rocks.

after the first seven miles on Day 1 he will be taking gear off your round boat.
Old 02-19-2013   #5

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I would love to float the upper with an empty jag... keep in mind being empty he will get surfed easy... can he skirt velvet and any other holes.. an empty boat is easy to get back sunny side up and easy to get unwrapped compared to a loaded boat.. with no floor he can fred flinstone most hangups being that lite..
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #6

SLC, Utah
Sounds like he just needs more time on the oars to me. Doing a low water mfs that time of year is not that hard at all. You will get stuck but with an unloaded boat it's no problem to get unstuck. The really tricky part if your not used to low water boating is using your oar blades, you can't dig in deep, or your going to get a broken blade or have that downstream oar come flying up and knock you in the head. Just do some regular runs around the area and practice doing surface moves. Really not many wrap hazards at around 2ft, which it will most likely be around that time of year. I don't know how people wrap anyway, just spin away from the wrap rock and you will just bounce off. Sounds like you know what you are doing so i would say just train him up more. The more you do it the easier it gets, like most things.
screamingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #7

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I have a 12' Trib and love going backpack style. 60 yo and mellow if you are looking for others to row (hint hint)
John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Just make sure you don't have a floor in the Jag for that upper section. It will help him out a lot being able to stand in the cockpit and push/pull/drag the boat. Either he'll have a blast, or you will by watching your sibling suffer!!!!!
Old 02-19-2013   #9

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1976
I have done at least five August Middle Fork floats with a 14' cataraft and have had no problems, though others in my party have gotten stuck and needed help getting off rocks. At low water levels Velvet can be run almost randomly, but as you know, there are places on the upper MF that require some picking your way among the rocks and some where there is pushy water. I'm not convinced that having experience on another river at low water would be adequate experience for the MF, and it would be prudent to have another light raft accompanying your brother, preferably with someone experienced on the upper portion.
middleforkpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #10

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Comeon. 2'. Jag. Unloaded? A blind gimp wouldnt even have issues
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote