New to the Buzz and Rafting - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2010   #1

Parker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
New to the Buzz and Rafting

I am new to the whole rafting ADDICITION!!!! I am looking to do my first river fishing run and everyone keeps telling me the pumphouse run is the way to go. I have done a ton of research and do not want to get in to anything over a class II for awhile until I get comfortable in my setup. I know I have a ton to learn but any help that anyone can offer would be great.

Thanks

TBONE

todd1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
TBONE: Come do Pumphouse this weekend. It sounds like there's going to be plenty boats, both days, kayakers to sweep and help. I am also very new to this sport and have been assured that Pumphouse, while having some fast water, is very forgiving and a good learning ground for newbies. See the post for specifics. There's also a conversation going on about the first weekend in May; perhaps a RubyHorsethief, which is the best shakedown cruise ever.
Old 04-20-2010   #3

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
Pumphouse is the way to go for sure...especially when the water levels are low. Not sure how low you can run it...gonna find that out this weekend as they wont be more than 550 cfs tops I'm guessing. If you don't make it out soon...be careful. Once Pumphouse starts running full...its not the place to row your first time..in my opinion. I ran it blind the first time at just over 5,000 cfs and made some potentially dangerous mistakes....luckily no one went swimming or got hurt...but the potential was DEFINATELY there. A fisherman died up there last year at high flows...

For a good first time run...and great fishing. You can do State Bridge to Catamount on the Colorado. Just a couple wave trains...no rapids. It'll give you plenty of practice behind the oars.

Remember...point where you don't want to go and row backwards.

- Matty
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010   #4

TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
"face yer danger and pull away..." - Words to live (and not die) by.
OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #5

Vail, CO
I like that
Old 04-20-2010   #6

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
YOu can probably scrape through in a raft as low as 300 cfs if you can read water and stay in the deep channels for what it is worth.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #7

Parker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks a ton guys!!! I would love to make it up their this weekend. I checked out the forecast and the weather does not look like it is going to help out much but I will keep an eye on it. Can you please give me the details of the pumphouse run. Where do I put in at, Where is the take out, etc. Told ya I was new at this. LOL. Here is a little about my rig. I have a 13 ft NRS raft with frame. 2 oars with oarrights (I know I need a 3rd badley) We took it out the the rez this weekend and everything worked great. I have all the dry bags, anchor setup, and cooler. I have a friend of my that has been helping me out with all the little details and the things I need so that has been a huge help. Thanks again for all the feed back!!!!!
todd1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #8

TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
I usually check out eddyflower.com when I'm not famaliar with a run... Here is the pumphouse run detail:

Pumphouse
OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Whitewater of the southern rockies

If you dont already have it you need the new testament bible to this religion of boating asap and it will answer alot of your run beta ?'s.
Whitewater of the Southern Rockies
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #10

Vail, CO
Todd,

The weather forecasts change DAILY...so definately don't rule it out yet....and just because they say rain...doesn't mean the whole day is out. Accuweather's radar is pretty solid. So I usually look at that the night before a trip. If the storm is large and looks like hours upon hours of rain (which is hardly ever the case) then I bail and go somewhere else. But most storms wont last more than an hour or so.

Put in and Take out

Put in at "Pumphouse Recreation Area" on the Trough Rd. (Aka Route 1)

Take out's are:

Radium Recreation Area
Rancho Del Rio
State Bridge (this one is the most expensive...and I don't EVER use it)

These are all along the Trough Rd.

For more specific instructions...I would suggest buying a Gazeteer.
AND/OR doing some searches on here...there is TONS of Beta on these sections.

- Matty

Tags
rafting