Mountain Buzz banner

New Star Kima Cataraft

Tags
cataraft
13K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  montuckyhuck 
#1 ·
Good day!

I've been shopping around for a cataraft to expand my quiver of river boats and came across what looks to be a new boat available. It's made by Star (which I think is now NRS??) and there are a couple different models and sizes. The Kima and the Kannah. The Kima is the one I have my eye on as it looks most similar to the Aire Wave Destroyer and Sotar Legend, which are the one's I was mainly considering.

I was wondering if anyone around here has seen one of these on the river, or has one? If so, thoughts?

Further to that, what about Star in general? I've seen their boats on the river and they seem to be of solid construction.

The price is quite good and I can get further discounts, so I'm nearly sold on this guy!

Thanks!

#2 ·
My Kima 14 ships next week. These boats are very similar construction to the NRS Outlaw line, but when NRS purchased Star, they rebranded all of their PVC line with the Star brand.

After talking with the engineer who designed it, I was sold. NRS did extensive testing of this model and the material and I've heard great things. Supposedly they perform similarly to the Wave Destroyer line, with a few improvements, and a much lower price point.

As soon as I receive mine, I'll post pics of the tubes and frame build.

#3 ·
That's good to hear. I wen't ahead and pulled the trigger on the 13' as it was available now, and my local distributor wasn't sure on the availability of the 14'.

I'm super stoked, this is my first Cat and I'm hoping to take it to the Clackamus whitewater festival coming up in a few weeks!

#4 ·
13x22 is a great size. That's what my wave destroyer is. Similar looking kick and design. I do love the bladder aire uses though. Very easy on river repair. My only hesitation would be if "star" is the new "outlaw" I wasn't impressed with the construction I saw on those boats. If this is nrs' attempt to break in to the class V capable cat market they need to be some well built boats! Most people who buy wave destroyers and legends never actually have their sights set on class V though, it's just the boat to own these days.

#9 ·
NRS has always been a mixed bag for me quality wise, some of their stuff (especially neoprene) has been top notch. Some other things, like dry tops - not so much. Being that Star is an acquisition by NRS, and Star made pretty good boats, I'm hopeful!

Interestingly, NRS doesn't have an 'out of the box' frame for the 13' size. The max frame length for the 13' is 80" and the smallest cat frame NRS sells is 88". They are cutting it down for me, but I thought that was worth noting in this thread.

I don't have my sights on class V water, but III and IV for sure and probably some bonier creeks. On paper, this looks like it'll do the job just fine and I've had good experience with PVC boats, so I'm feeling good this will hold up for many years of play!

#12 ·
Borrowed a frame over the weekend and floated the last few miles of the Dolores into the Colorado and down the Daily to Takeout Beach. Obviously can't comment on class IV conditions yet, but very impressed thus far. Lots of clever design features that Sotar and Aire do not have, such as 3 chambers per tube, 3 extra large handles per tube, and D rings mounted low to allow for basically any frame. I tested fitment on NRS yoke style frame and sport cat style frames, both fit easily.

Rows nice, very light, super sporty, and I'm thinking it's going to be a blast on bigger, techy sections. I'd take the 14' Kima over our Aire Wildcat any day.

#14 ·
Got mine out on the water this last weekend as well and did about 18 miles on II / III water and had an absolute blast.

This is my first cat (I have lots of raft, IK and hardshell experience) and I was really impressed with how easy it was to move this boat around. I have the sport cat frame and didn't load up any gear, so pretty light weight, and I won't know how she handles with gear until I load it up.

Not having a floor is a little disconcerting, it is weird to see the waves blasting between my legs! I'm sure I'll get used to that in time.

The construction appears bomber and I won't be hesitant to throw it into class IV water, which I can't wait to do!

#18 ·
OK, so I've had my new Kima out quite a bit in the last couple months, including a recent trip down the Klickitat at around 1000cfs. The upper section of that river is continuous class III and pretty technical at those flows. The Kima handled like a dream and did everything I wanted it to do.

I haven't loaded it down with multi day gear, so I can't comment on performance when weighted down, but I bet if I stayed under 500 pounds, I'd still fly around the river easily.

Bottom line is I'm really, really enjoying this boat. It's my first cat, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I do have a raft, which is clunky compared to this!.

Time will tell about the durability, but I've had good luck with PVC boats in general (knock on wood) and this one has a solid warranty.

#20 ·
Hey that’s pretty funny!
Thank you to everyone that has posted there opinion on them, been stairing at them on NRS, and lusting after one myself.
Feedback appreciated!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.