New Star Kima Cataraft - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 05-07-2019   #11

My 14' arrived yesterday, time to start bending tube!

BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019   #12

Borrowed a frame over the weekend and floated the last few miles of the Dolores into the Colorado and down the Daily to Takeout Beach. Obviously can't comment on class IV conditions yet, but very impressed thus far. Lots of clever design features that Sotar and Aire do not have, such as 3 chambers per tube, 3 extra large handles per tube, and D rings mounted low to allow for basically any frame. I tested fitment on NRS yoke style frame and sport cat style frames, both fit easily.

Rows nice, very light, super sporty, and I'm thinking it's going to be a blast on bigger, techy sections. I'd take the 14' Kima over our Aire Wildcat any day.
Old 05-14-2019   #13

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I saw one of these in the hotel parking lot in salmon yeaterday.. good looking boat. Looked like they where headed for a pre season main.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019   #14
Total Newb

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Got mine out on the water this last weekend as well and did about 18 miles on II / III water and had an absolute blast.

This is my first cat (I have lots of raft, IK and hardshell experience) and I was really impressed with how easy it was to move this boat around. I have the sport cat frame and didn't load up any gear, so pretty light weight, and I won't know how she handles with gear until I load it up.

Not having a floor is a little disconcerting, it is weird to see the waves blasting between my legs! I'm sure I'll get used to that in time.

The construction appears bomber and I won't be hesitant to throw it into class IV water, which I can't wait to do!
ScottM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Anymore updates on your kima? Think you like it?
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
Total Newb

Grants Pass, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
Anymore updates on your kima? Think you like it?
I'm about to go run the entire Klikitat this coming week in the Kima, which is a little on the low side, so a good test! I'll report back next weekend!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17

We're doing laps on the Colorado in BV next weekend, I'll report back as well. I've been too busy building frames and tables for friends to get mine out. :-/
Old 6 Days Ago   #18
Total Newb

Grants Pass, Oregon
OK, so I've had my new Kima out quite a bit in the last couple months, including a recent trip down the Klickitat at around 1000cfs. The upper section of that river is continuous class III and pretty technical at those flows. The Kima handled like a dream and did everything I wanted it to do.

I haven't loaded it down with multi day gear, so I can't comment on performance when weighted down, but I bet if I stayed under 500 pounds, I'd still fly around the river easily.

Bottom line is I'm really, really enjoying this boat. It's my first cat, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I do have a raft, which is clunky compared to this!.

Time will tell about the durability, but I've had good luck with PVC boats in general (knock on wood) and this one has a solid warranty.
Old 3 Days Ago   #19

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
We're doing laps on the Colorado in BV next weekend, I'll report back as well.
That should be a feat, the Colorado doesn't run anywhere near BV! I think you'll have more fun if you run the Arkansas LOL
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #20

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Hey that’s pretty funny!
Thank you to everyone that has posted there opinion on them, been stairing at them on NRS, and lusting after one myself.
Feedback appreciated!!

Tags
cataraft