New Saturn - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 03-24-2017   #1

Detroit, Michigan
Paddling Since: 14
New Saturn

I'm a new member to this site. I surfed every frame build project on Buzz, I like to thank everybody for giving me ideas on framing my new Saturn. My buddy has been using his Saturn for many years, he has even thrown it on top of his van for a trip from Michigan to Mexico twice. Cody at Saturn has great customer service, I bought 2 new prototypes from him recently and now I have to build the frames..Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8155.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	903.5 KB
ID:	15786Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8754[1].JPG
Views:	488
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	15794
Name:   IMG_8752[1].jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  988.6 KB

crazydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2017   #2

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
There is a heavy anti Saturn sect here on Mountainbuzz. Don't let that get you down. Good luck with your frame. Are you building a fishing frame or whitewater frame?
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #3

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
I wouldnt call it an anti Saturn sect - more along the lines of a conspiracy that is very much interwoven with the canyon/pro/entity saga somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2017   #4

Detroit, Michigan
Thanks for the reply..... I did see some negative comments on the Saturn rafts, but my buddies Saturn ( the blue one) has served him very well, and he is a hardcore Trout Bum....... His van has bunk beds and a heating / cooling ventilation with separate generator. He actually lived in his van for over year traveling all over the place with his Saturn strapped to the top, chasing trout..... He has dragged that thing all over place, over stumps and logs, across gravel beds , through thick brush, and launched it in some very off the grid places.......... I wanted something similar to his raft but a little wider. So I called Cody and he had one one that was perfect for me, its about 6 inches wider and longer , and self bailing........ Cody was friendly and very easy to deal with........ I looked for months for new and used rafts, and couldn't find anything affordable..... This new Saturn should work perfect for us, so we picked up 2 of them for our 6 man fly fishing guide/group. We plan to frame it for fishing using 6061 tubes. We are still working on plans, might weld or use speed rail fittings..... I used the "fun with frames " thread to get some ideas.....I read read sooooo many threads that I forgot half of what I read ......
Old 03-25-2017   #5

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2016
I have a ten foot saturn. It's tough as a boot nail. I didn't even have to refinance my house to buy it.
outathaboatBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #6

Detroit, Michigan
The part we are contemplating is the height and angle of the oar risers and how to make a adjustable casting brace... other then that, I hope not to run into too much trouble... I got what I think was a good price on 4 Mini-Mag Cat oars , Sawyer oar locks, cam straps from Strap Works, Harken cam cleats and small bock pulleys for the anchor system.... Just need the aluminum tube and someone who can tig weld , or use speed rail fittings....
Old 03-25-2017   #7

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2016
I like the idea of the speed rail fittings. You could mock it up before you buy the oar towers and change the frame whenever you want. You could get a pretty good idea of how tall the towers need to be before you buy anything.
outathaboatBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #8

Rivertown, West Virginia
CrazyDrake, l am all for building your own frame but when it comes to towers since this is your first boat l will assume. I would buy a set of towers that can be adjusted. Sound like you all will be switching rowers and experimenting. With a set of 8 inch towers you can roll them in and out to make them taller, shorter, you can slide them for shorter taller rowers. 100 bucks. Onice you figure it out and want to make permanent nose put them for sale right here for 80 bucks and if nobody buys them in the first week l will be surprised. Just my 2 cents
Old 03-25-2017   #9

Rivertown, West Virginia
Speycatter, l like the conspiracy theory. That describes it pretty good.
Old 03-25-2017   #10

Rivertown, West Virginia
I build frames for friends, How wide is your boat on top dead center of the tubes, how tall are you