New frame for 16ft Lion - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-28-2017   #1

Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
New frame for 16ft Lion

Knowing the level of trash talk, here is the frame I just had built for my Lion. It is 12 ft 6 end to end. The cooler that is in the frame is a 210 yeti and the dog is about 100 pounds. The kitchen boxes are 44 wide. It is a Recretec frame.

Go ahead...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new frame.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	13777  

GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2017   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
That looks pretty sweet.
How are you digging the Lion? Been thinking of a 16' for my next gear hauler/ big river boat.
Old 01-28-2017   #3

Leavenworth, Washington
Matt-

I have had the tubes for about 3 years and have had them out on multiple rivers. I love the way they draft, and you can carry your share of group gear without turning the cat into a pig. Can't beat the lion for a gear hauling cataraft in my opinion.

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2017   #4

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Nice looking frame IMHO...
talk to me about the cow catcher up front. It's not something I've seen in my limited experience and would love to know more...

-Thomas
T.O.Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017   #5

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Looks sweet! What is the front basket module?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I asked Dan that too. He said he uses it for an everything gear bag. An immaculate layout for a gear cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017   #7

Leavenworth, Washington
The cow catcher.. on a middle fork trip I asked what the hell when I saw this module. The explanation is that when it has gear on it water hits it with a downward angle and pushes the nose of the cat upward. I called bullshit. Two days later I asked if I could borrow the module after the trip to have one made. It is odd bu works like a charm. I had an everything bag made to fit it, with the front being solid material and the rest mesh so it drains. We call it the cow catcher also!
Old 01-30-2017   #8

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBWW View Post
. I had an everything bag made to fit it, with the front being solid material and the rest mesh so it drains. We call it the cow catcher also!
Next time you get it loaded, would love to see a picture of it in action...seems like a great idea!
T.O.Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBWW View Post
The cow catcher.. on a middle fork trip I asked what the hell when I saw this module. The explanation is that when it has gear on it water hits it with a downward angle and pushes the nose of the cat upward. I called bullshit. Two days later I asked if I could borrow the module after the trip to have one made. It is odd bu works like a charm. I had an everything bag made to fit it, with the front being solid material and the rest mesh so it drains. We call it the cow catcher also!
I can believe that, my Culebra paddle cat utilizes the same principle, the thwarts are are high, and the floor is rockered,with a little bit of cupping towards the center, so if you are really reaching forward with your strokes, you ride up and over big features a lot better.

I've been wanting to find a similar design principle in a big Cat, and I think that would do it!! A little cupping towards the center of the floor seems to help, basically the middle of the dry bag stack slightly higher, so if you rig the middle dry bag a touch higher in that thing, it might help out some to.

Think I'm a lot closer to how I want my next gear boat to be.
Old 02-07-2017   #10

evanston, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1968
Slightly different take: SOTAR has built a frame for years with a web floor angled up at the front. Great for passengers feet!If you put gear on it,a good wave will stop you. Not good to drop into a hole or back curl wave. Without gear, it can serve to give a minor up lift on some waves. Most of my crew have found that any boxes or gear at from acts as a stopper. Therefore, most run Idaho rigs with front rower. Discussion welcome.
eyeboat is offline   Reply With Quote