New Cat Buyer - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-27-2017   #1

Loveland, Colorado
New Cat Buyer

Hey guys. Looking for a little advice out there. Looking to purchase a cataract. It will probably be used equally for trips up to a week long as well as some class iv day trips with a passenger or 2. I think I have it narrowed down to the Aire Jaguarundi and the Sotar Legend 15.5?. I also have a grand trip coming up next year, but realize that no boat is perfect for every type of trip Any advice would be welcome.

RadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2017   #2

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have a 15.5 Sotar cat, an older elite which is similar to the ST. I did the Grand with 1200#'s gear with no problems. It is my go to boat unless I'm doing skinny water. Photos are on the grand at Lava with 28 gallons of water, day cooler, full kitchen dry box, 36# charcoal, fire pan, 129 Qt. cooler, 4 eco safe toilets, 2 hand wash stations two 4 gallon buckets of non frozen food, 3 gallons of Jack d., 2nd dry box with misc. river gear like (wing, fire blanket etc., and of course all my personal gear. So a cat like a legend would be pretty good all round boat IMO. I have also done hells canyon as a solo boat with a weeks worth of gear with three of us in the boat. It is a pig to row when loaded heavy. A gas to row when loaded light.
Old 10-27-2017   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
In the Aire line, I think I would go for the Lion, because the tube size is bigger, and it can haul a lot more weight before it becomes piggish to row, compared to the smaller tubes of a Jagurundi.
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2017   #4

I would suggest either a Aire Wave Destroyer or a Sotar Legend at 14'.
Both are higher performance boats for Class IV day trips and can easily handle a passenger for day trips or a weeks worth of gear for a solo boater.

A 15'-16' cat is a lot of boat for the Front Range day trips, especially early and late. I have a 12' (x21") Sotar cat and have both had a passenger and done week long trips, plus I fit in Clear Creek, Gore Creek and Boulder Creek.

The best day trips in Colorado do not have boat ramps and often involve carrying your boat.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
Bighorn rowing his Sotar cat makes hard moves look easy. And, that Sotar can carry a big load as well.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Im sure you've done your research but just remember that a Raft can carry more weight/cargo than a cat of the same length and that Cats cannot really manage more than one passenger very easily. Cats are great but a 14'-15' raft is a more versatile boat.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treswright3 View Post
Im sure you've done your research but just remember that a Raft can carry more weight/cargo than a cat of the same length and that Cats cannot really manage more than one passenger very easily. Cats are great but a 14'-15' raft is a more versatile boat.
I agree with you except for one thing. I have done multiple trips for as long as 5 days with 3-4 passengers (plus me) with my 15.5 cat. A little tight but can be done. With that many on board I do stick to class 3 or smaller.
Old 10-31-2017   #8

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
I had some NRS Revolution tubes that were 15'x23" and seemed to always drag my frame in the water with a moderate load. Swapped with a friend to some Tributary 16'x24" tubes, (Similar to AIRE Jags), and have never had an issue with weight since.

If long overnights in the future, get tubes at least 24" in diameter. Better to be bigger and maneuverable when heavy and when lightly loaded, still sporty.

Or for more versatility...... Get a raft.....
Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017   #9

I had my sotar tubes custom made 25" dia.
Old 10-31-2017   #10

Loveland, Colorado
Thanks for the feed back guys. I had heard that Sotar would increase the diameter for you. I imagine that would increase load capacity significantly
RadDad is offline   Reply With Quote