Nepal raft expedition to fight Cholera - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-23-2011   #1

park city, idaho
Paddling Since: 05
Nepal raft expedition to fight Cholera

Next fall an expedition of river runners is headed to the Himalayan country of Nepal to combat the spreading cholera epidemic. Cholera is a deadly condition, but can be easily treated with hydration salts and preventative education. The Aqua Vitae Project is an expedition determined to provide remote Nepalese villages with medical treatment enabling them to combat this disease. During the trip the team will also be attempting two first raft descents in the Everest and Dolpo regions.

The Aqua Vitae Project is fundraising to make this expedition a reality. Money raised will go towards the purchasing of medical supplies, expedition gear, travel in the country of Nepal, and logistical needs (porters, permits, food, etc.). Please help the expedition by donating on our website, attending one of the following events, and sharing our mission with others.

Learn more and donate at The Aqua Vitae Project
Follow our every move on Facebook - Aqua Vitae Project

*Fundraising Events

This Saturday, March 26, the AVP will be hosting a fundraiser at The Corner Store Pub & Grill, located at Park City Mountain Resort, Utah. The event will run from 6-9 p.m. and will include live music, raffle prizes, video presentations, and Q and A with expedition team members.

Thursday April 21, in Ketchum Idaho, Whiskey Jaque's will be the site of our Idaho fundraiser. Again plan on plenty of good times, prizes, and a celebration of this great cause.

This summer find us at work and training at Payette River Company

dakafaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011   #2

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
philanthropy?

I don't want to sound like a jerk but how does sending you to the Himalayas cure Cholera? I didn't catch the connection between hydration salts, preventative education, and first raft descents. If you really want to help out, sell the rafts and put all your travel money into a NGO that is truly equipped to help out. I fear that your understanding of the disease is a bit naive.
If you are just dying to have a great adventure halfway around the world, say so and ask for support for that.

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #3

80523, Confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I don't want to sound like a jerk but how does sending you to the Himalayas cure Cholera? I didn't catch the connection between hydration salts, preventative education, and first raft descents. If you really want to help out, sell the rafts and put all your travel money into a NGO that is truly equipped to help out. I fear that your understanding of the disease is a bit naive.
If you are just dying to have a great adventure halfway around the world, say so and ask for support for that.

BUMP.
hnw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011   #4

park city, idaho
Paddling Since: 05
Our love for new lands, new rivers, and new people will be taking our team to the remote western region of Nepal. There is currently a Cholera epidemic in this extremely remote and poor region. Few trekkers or boaters venture to this region therefore few foreign dollars or first aid of any kind makes it as well. Research shows 80% of cholera victims can be cured using simple hydration salts, we will be taking these supplies with us.

I understand the skepticism, we do not have one goal, we have several. If you can not support both we understand fully and thank you for your time. We are headed to Nepal next fall, we want to explore new regions and help people who are not receiving help from anyone else. We would like to thank everyone who has shown us their support and to those who may in the future.
dakafaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #5

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
dakafaria,
If I may be so bold I think it would really help your cause and website if you were more clear about that. How is your group uniquely positioned to get the salts to the people? How will the use of the salts be translated to folks who don't speak English and probably don't read? If I give you $100 where does that go/ how is it spent? How many people do you hope to affect, directly or indirectly? Why not partner with an NGO that can help you target specific populations and that has the critical data for that?
I'm assuming (hoping) you don't feel this way but your proposal comes across as implying that cholera is caused largely by the ignorant savages who don't know how to wash their hands. Clearly there are deeper economic and educational realities behind it. The more that you show us you deeply understand the issue, the more support you'll get from folks who don't know you.
You might also address how your tourist dollars will be responsibly used over there.
Best of luck!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #6

80523, Confusion
There's really no way for us to see where our money is going. What's your plan? To bring some Purell and some salts and save the world? You're not a non-profit, there's no accountability for where donations are spent, there's nobody on your team with an MD, RN, MPH (if there is, your website doesn't say...), and there's no reason to believe that what you're doing will have a lasting effect on anyone except yourselves. This seems like a great scam to me.
hnw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #7

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Ultimately you may save lives but wouldn't it be better to provide them with filtration to prevent cholera in the first place?

UV light treatment kills cholera and can be very inexpensive to use, you should watch the documentary Flow: For Love Of Water, and inform yourselves a little more.

I think you guys have a good idea and probably the best intentions but you could do a lot more than treat symptoms if you prevent the disease in the first place.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote