Need suggestion on buying raft trailer.. (also use for Harley, riding mower, etc..) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 04-23-2013   #1

Rockingham, North Carolina
Need suggestion on buying raft trailer.. (also use for Harley, riding mower, etc..)

I have a kayak trailer and cargo trailer which I use for my Harley and John Deere at times. I need a raft trailer so we can carry our 14' Sotar to the Smoky Mountains here in NC, about 3 hours from my home. Want to get up there for some weekend trips and have the boat intact rather than breaking it down, blowing it up, etc.. and storing in the back of the SUV.

Thought I would sell my kayak trailer and cargo (harley) trailer and buy a flat bed of some type. Only catch is I need to then use it for transporting the Harley, John Deere, rafts, and kayaks, at different times of course. Looking around, all I see locally are typical utility trailers, which might work. But they all have a one foot (or so) lip around them.

Would favor a true flat trailer for the raft and kayaks. But also need to have a ramp on back for the Harley and mower. I have not seen any flat bed trailers that have the ramps on the back. Anybody have any idea of where I might buy such a trailer? Thanks for any info. As is, I got a yard full of trailers and toys, but no way to carry my raft around. Would like to find one trailer to use for multiple purposes if possible.

-Dan

danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
snowmobile trailer with tilt would fit the bill. Try a sled bed or triton.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Find the trailer/deck that works best and buy a set of lightweight aluminum ramps.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I will send you a photo of our trailer. We use it for all the things you mention. Basically it is a 10' utility trailer that we built decking over the side rails. We paid less than $1000 for it. 2x8's to span the width of the decking in 5-6 places, then legs for those 2 x 8's on the inside. Eye bolts near those legs for tying the motorcycle or other. Our bikes are light and nimble, and the angle to the eye bolts isn't ideal. A harley may push the envelope. I'll try to remember to take photos this weekend when the boats are not on it.

A nice flatbed would be great, but we didn't want to spend that much and are really happy how this turned out. The wood decking is painted and covered in astroturf, but will rot if stored outside. Our first round of decking lasted 3-4 years, but now it lives inside.
Old 04-25-2013   #5

Rockingham, North Carolina
Thanks.

What do the rest of you guys and gals use for trailers?

Dan
danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
Thanks.

Dan

6.5' x 16' Aztec angle iron framed car hauler trailer. Dual 3,500# axles and new tires. I only paid $750, so I couldn't pass it up.

It's just a tad heavy for rafts, but not too light for midsize trucks. Better than having to store both a super heavy car hauler and a lightweight raft trailer. It's not "perfect", but it's probably the best compromise for the things I use it for...and as I mentioned, the price was right!

My 13.0SB sits between the sides, my 156R sits up on the angle. I added a roller last summer and I plan to add 2x12 bunks this summer.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013   #7

Southeast, On the river...
What's the best width trailer for a 6' wide raft? Could it be less in width since the raft slopes inward alot? thanks
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #8

Jackson County, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1979
4x8 utility trailer set-up

Here's a pic of my trailer. It's a multi-purpose utility trailer. It has a floor that's 4x8 feet with 2 foot side walls. I use it to haul bikes, rafts, trash, whatever. I added carpeted 10 foot 2x8'' to the sides for raft transport. It's definitely harder to load the boat when compared to a flatbed, but I can throw all the gear under the boat when transporting. It works for me, but everyone's ideal trailer is different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0496.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	745.8 KB
ID:	6678  
VandyIn541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #9

San Juan Islands, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
Thanks.

Dan
It's been posted before but here's my converted snowmobile trailer, the deck was removed and a box built then the deck was used for the deck. A flatbed trailer with a removable box would be my suggestion. You could make the ramps removable for when it was being used as a raft trailer and it could still tilt if you ever wanted to add a winch and stand with a roller on the back for use at a launching ramp.

tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote