Need help in planning a raft Teri in July 2020!!! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Need help in planning a raft Teri in July 2020!!!

hi Fellow rafters!
I need to plan a raft trip for July 2020 for me and my 10 friends - I never did planning before!
We are experienced white water kayakers - mostly in Europe, never did it in USA!
I need to know:
if CO, Utha and Arizona rivers are too hot in July to raft?
What are the best rivers on east Coast for July?
What are the best rivers in Oregon in July?
Please help!
Iraila

Iraila5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
there are so many variables here...
what kind of trips are you looking for?
-whitewater day trips
-multi-day river trips
-only want to go on private trips, or willing to go commercial?

that's just the beginning...
also, IMHO, CO, UT, AZ rivers are great to hit in July, it will likely be quite hot, but you can always jump in the water or make yourself a cold drink.
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
AmericanWhiteWater.org

Lists US rivers, permit information, photos

RiverBrain (currently offline?)
describes camps with photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I agree... definitely not a cut and dry answer to any of that. Might be worth making a friend in the US that has experience with that stuff. I guess this is as good a place as any for that. It would definitely be much easier to just book a multi-day trip or a couple day trips with a reputable guiding company. They will bring all the food and gear you need and take care of all of the logistics.

There are rivers all over the East Coast to raft and kayak on. The classic ones are the the Asheville/Friendsville area of Maryland/Virginia/West Virginia area to include the New River, Youghagenie, Cheat, and many others. Go a bit further south into Tenesee and you have the Ocoee and Nantahala and a bunch of others too. You could look into New England too. Lots of fun rivers in Maine to check out... Kenebec and the Penobscot being the big two. While I'm sure there are overnight opportunities...most of the runs on the East Coast involve Day trips and then camping nearby (or getting a hotel if you feel like it).

Lots and lots of options out west too and if you want to do a Multi-day its one of the only options. Plenty of excellent options around Utah and Colorado. Arizona mostly has the Grand Canyon that time of year...which is an amazing trip but takes more commitment and time (most full canyon trips are two weeks long).

Idaho has some truly amazing opportunities with the Middle Fork Salmon and Main Salmon, Selway, Snake and others. Oregon has the Rogue River. All of those offer an amazing array of difficulty and style in a Multi-day trips.

California has a ton of whitewater to check out all over the state too.

So...as you can see...you probably need to narrow it down to one region and/or style of trip you want to do and go from there.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Mac View Post
there are so many variables here...
what kind of trips are you looking for?
-whitewater day trips
-multi-day river trips
-only want to go on private trips, or willing to go commercial?

that's just the beginning...
also, IMHO, CO, UT, AZ rivers are great to hit in July, it will likely be quite hot, but you can always jump in the water or make yourself a cold drink.
We are looking for a white water DIY trip for two weeks in July, with 10 to 12 people, from very experienced to intermediate kayakers. We want to have a couple of kayaks and a raft. We usually puddle along the river and camp for a day at the waterfalls or large rapids and go through it multiple times to learn new skills.
I need your advice on a good river on the East coast or in CO, Utha, Arizona.
Thanks!!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
AmericanWhiteWater.org

Lists US rivers, permit information, photos

RiverBrain (currently offline?)
describes camps with photos
Thank you! Will look into it!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

, Colorado
I want to look into "rivers over the East Coast to raft and kayak on the Asheville/Friendsville area of Maryland/Virginia/West Virginia area to include the New River, Youghagenie, Cheat."
Where can I get info for a DIY river trip and raft/kayak renting?
Thank you!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraila5 View Post
I want to look into "rivers over the East Coast to raft and kayak on the Asheville/Friendsville area of Maryland/Virginia/West Virginia area to include the New River, Youghagenie, Cheat."
Where can I get info for a DIY river trip and raft/kayak renting?
Thank you!
I appologize...I should have left Asheville out. Friendsville is the area where the Yough(as the Youghegenie is often called... pronounced "Yawk" like Hawk) and New and many other rivers are. Asheville is in South Carolina and is also a great city...but they aren't very close to each other.

There are many options for commercial rafting companies and outfitters that rent kayaks and gear in Friendsville and Ohiopyle, PA (an bit less then an hour from Friendsville), both towns which the Yough flows through. The main town where outfitters for the New River are based out of is Fayetville, WV which is about 3 hours drive from Friendsville.

Other options would be to drop down into Tenesee and do the Ocoee, Nantahala and other rivers in that area. You could even do a big loop and start in Friendsville on the Yough and move south down through Tennessee east into Kentucky and South Carolina and back up through Virginia and hit a bunch of rivers.

I would encourage you to look on the American Whitewater page for all of those areas and see what interests you. There are tons of little creeks and rivers that the more advanced of you guys could check out that won't be in the tourist brochures.

Mountainbuzz is mostly people from the Rocky Mountains and Pacific Northwest (including Idaho). We have a few east coast people on here though. I'm sure there are facebook groups and such for that area where you can get more detailed information.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote