Need another guide for Deso Trip this summer - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 03-21-2019   #1

Need another guide for Deso Trip this summer

We have three families (12 people) with a private permit for Desolation Canyon in mid July. Hoping to have an experienced guide join us on the trip as only one of the parents has guided before and has experience. We will have two 18ft boats. Any ideas on how to find someone to join the trip? Thanks in advance.

csanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2019   #2

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
When you say guide do you mean someone who professionally guides folks or someone to row a boat?

If you are just looking for someone to man the oars I could be interested. Happy to tell you what to do as well so you feel like you're being guided.
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Hate to come off shitty and piss in your wheaties but I guess I'm feeling sparky this morning. Sounds like you should book a commercial trip. Its illegal to hire a guide for a private trip. Its illegal for them to even go for free. Private trips are a cost sharing adventure designed for people with gear and ability to run a trip. Read your permit.

Assuming at least you are competent and have rafted mutidays, why would you invite 11 people if you were the only one that could row a boat? If you wanted this to seem like a private trip you might have approached it by saying... Hey, I have a deso permit and we're looking for a few more boats for a family style trip. When you found interest you could ask them if they minded carrying a couple people. Pawning 6 people off on a private boater is a really big (and somewhat fishy) ask. If you did private trips I don't think you'd be asking that, which I guess is why I'm feeling a little put off.

Mission gravity, I like your reply about rowing a boat and telling them what to do. It could actually end up being pretty comical if they are good sports. That said, if you sign up for this you are looking for potential disaster (ignorance, incompetency,injuries, sickness, etc.). If you are paid you are committing a felony for not having an outfitter license and could have liability issues if there is a problem, not to mention the 50k fine. Rowing six people and all their shit down deso for a week could be a real shitshow especially if 11 out of 12 of them are clueless. Even if you avoid the felony, four whining kids and two bitchy parents on my boat for a week does not scream vacation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2019   #4

zbaird says it all in the last sentence. Nuf said!
Spintowin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
You might ask the company that you are renting the boats from about providing a guide.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019   #6

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post

Even if you avoid the felony, four whining kids and two bitchy parents on my boat for a week does not scream vacation.

I’d happily take the kids but no way to the bitchy parents.
Old 03-22-2019   #7

thanks for the feedback. Forgot how snarky these internet forums can be. We'll figure it out.
Old 03-22-2019   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Two 18' boats with 12 (or is it 13 now?) ppl for a week are overloaded.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Maybe more clarification would help. Are you looking for someone with commercial guide experience, someone with TL experience or a commercial guide to plan everything for you? Have you already specified the number of people on the permit - ie are you only looking for 1 person or is it still open for others to join up to the 25 max? Are you trying to redistribute some of your group to an additional boat or trying to fit everyone on the 2 boats you have? The devil is in the details I guess.
dsmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019   #10

@dsmith01 - good point. I've done the trip a number of times but always in one boat with friends, and its been about 14 years. Typically done one 18 foot boat for 5 day trip with 5-6 people on boat and a couple duckies. This year wanted to bring a couple families along. I would welcome adding another couple folks that know the river to the permit and maybe spreading people across 3 boats (sounds like 2 18ft'ers may be tight). The families are relaxed and low maintenance . Thanks for the pointers!