My scariest moment on a river. Period. - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-14-2015   #1

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2005
My scariest moment on a river. Period.

This was filmed on my gopro mounted on my helmet. This happened on the MFS just above the confluence of the middle fork and main. Before you all get too harsh, just know that gal in the video is very inexperienced and the dog isn't hers. Our group made the mistake of forgetting her for a moment. We all make some mistakes, just have to learn from them. Get ready for a scary video.

jturnrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015   #2
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
wow, that sure looked sketchy!!! good save tho

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #3

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I will never understand humans that risk dying to save an animal. I am glad she is okay, but just one more example of a human not thinking about number one, and getting put in a position that could kill them. I love animals, and I don't like hurting them, but if I am hauling ass down the interstate, and one jumps out. I brace for impact, and keep it straight. Glad she is okay. I have seen a ton of videos from this river, and what looks like that same spot. Why is it always such a carnage fest there, and if the river is like that why do so many take very inexperience people down? I have nothing against good rafters, but rafts give people the opportunity to get in situations they have not trained to be in. It doesn't seem like she realized how screw she could have been.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015   #4

Seattle, Washington
Maybe I'm betraying my own penchant for carnage, but what was it that was super scary/gnarly?

This looks like a fairly typical situation at low, technical water: boat gets off into a too-tight channel. It was accessible by shore, no one was pinned without air, or doing live-bait rescue.

I'm sure it was very tense in the moment, but I didn't see any major risking of life to save a dog. I agree with FSM, I won't risk my life for a dog either, but I'd do anything I saw here in the video.

Upstream crew helped corral the last boat, looks like fairly good teamwork. Couldn't tell if any one was setup to deal with folks swimming out of the rescue location, but with that support present downstream, I'd consider this a fairly controlled and well executed rescue.

Good on y'all.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #5

westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
Good god - Couldn't that have been totally avoided?
Isn't the line LEFT? Was that a commercial trip?
Glad all were ok.
spiderguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #6

Boise, Idaho
Far be it for me to judge, but I don't really see anything too out of the ordinary or dangerous other than "sometimes sh-t happens." Be happy it all ended well.

What I saw in the video looked to be a pretty controlled situation (I'm not saying anything about how the situation happened in the first place) until she tried to jump across. In retrospect maybe you figure out a more secure method of getting her and the dog off the rock, but really she just slipped and goobered the crux move and fell into an extremely scary spot.

You can second guess it all day long, and maybe we all learn from it. In this instance, maybe someone else on the raft with you and maybe you emphasize to her to take sure, calculated moves.

As for the dog... we'll all have different opinions. I take my dogs on river trips, and I'd probably risk my life to save them and ensure their safety. If you beat the truth out of me, I probably value their lives more than I do many people. So there's that.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
Maybe I'm betraying my own penchant for carnage, but what was it that was super scary/gnarly?
Maybe I'm betraying my own timidness, but the moment at 1:53 when she falls in the river with arms visible but her head below water scared the shit out of me.

As for why novices end up on the middle fork - it is a very manageable river medium to low flows. Many inexperienced people can and do enjoy the river at those flows, and I don't think it's overly dangerous at all. I think it's a fairly forgiving river, all things being equal.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #8

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Mistakes were made and I expect the critics to come out like crazy, but I for one commend you for posting. Animals or not, it is an extremely good reality check that the any tasks around moving water have danger.

It's been 10 min since I watched the video, and my heart's still racing.
Old 07-14-2015   #9

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I worry about if she could have floated under the raft or would have gotten pinned. And Anchorless we didn't have to beat you to hard to get that info out of you. I hope me, and your dogs aren't on the same river when I get in trouble
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #10
Caw! Caw!

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I can see a few things I'd have done differently, were I in this situation, but that's only because I have the luxury of watching the video and thinking about it. I think you did fine, given the circumstances. I'm glad everyone got through it ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
...it is an extremely good reality check that the any tasks around moving water have danger.
^ This, a thousand times over.

I'm curious, how long did it take to unpin that boat?
AlanS is offline   Reply With Quote