Multiday family paddle setup - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-20-2014   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Multiday family paddle setup

Buzzards,

I have four kids 16, 14, 12, 10 and the wife and want to do some Colorado overnight/multiday trips next year. Has anyone rigged a large raft with gear for paddling? Am trying to avoid the 1 person oar man while the 5 passengers and border collie just hang on for the ride.

Would love to see best practices for such a venture, can imagine a narrow frame down the middle that allows drop nets for the hard/heavy equipment and all of the lighter soft stuff lashed to the top of that frame system.

This way everyone has a paddle and soft tube to sit on and some skin in the game during the rapids.

Not looking for class 4-5 trouble, just beautiful trips where we can unplug, talk/sing and grow together before they kiddos leave the nest. Thanks

Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Your kids are old enough. Buy a ducky or two from a commercial outfit. They'll have more fun than paddle rafting a cargo boat. Your frame should put the weight of your load on the flat area of your main tubes anyway.
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014   #3

DURANGO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Back in the 70's that's how my family ran rivers. We hauled our gear on a frame set-up in the middle of the boat. 2 paddlers in the front 2 in the back with the sternsman. It was a great way for me to learn the river as a young teenager.
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014   #4

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
There are a few ways to do it. If you pack light you can build a cooler frame that suspends on the thwarts. If you boat is big enough, you can typically put a cooler there and a drybag or two, Paddle Frame - Raft Frame Accessories - Frames & Accessories. Then stack gear on the cooler and back in the guide area.

I have also seen commercial trips on the Grand Canyon where they build an I shaped frame with beams crossing at the thwarts and cooler frame. Gear take the place of thwarts and piles on top of the frame. It looks pretty bulky, but is possible.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014   #5

Tigard, Oregon
Here is a similar thread from last year. There is a photo of the I frame used on the Grand Canyon. https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...aft-46378.html
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014   #6

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have been on plenty of great family trips and I agree that the duckie is the way to go. We always bring at least 1 or 2 single or tandem duckies and everyone is begging to have a turn. That way you can relax, be less cramped, and let another kid take the oars on the raft.
Old 11-21-2014   #7

Louisville, Colorado
IMHO paddling a raft loaded with 5-6 people and overnight gear sounds like torture and a recipe for kids who aren't having fun. The leverage of oars is your friend when you are moving that kind of weight. Kick back with a beer and make the 16yo row.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Thanks all,

I will take the advice and split time between the gear pig and the mini max or perhaps an IK.

See y'all on the river
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014   #9
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Them young uns ought be on them oars wilst yall drank and fish
Old 11-22-2014   #10

Salida, 81201
Not looking for class 4-5 trouble, just beautiful trips where we can unplug,

I"m with you brother...getting the kidos un plugged is best
Stoked on the Mini Max I have coming (NEO). The kids are going to learn row/paddle. Like they don't have a choice
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote