Motor Rig on Cat in October - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-18-2015   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Motor Rig on Cat in October

All this Cat talk has made me think about trying for a quick trip during Fall break. Does anybody know when the motor rigs stop running cat?

tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
When business dries up. So, for all practical purposes, now. Reasonable chance of seeing a few jet boats doing canoe shuttles between Potash & Spanish Bottom. You might see a snout boat down there any time, either private, commercial, or NPS, but they and the sport boats / J-rigs usually run with the big water.
Are you trying to avoid them like late season in the Grand? Or run your own snout?
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I'm wanting to take a 22 foot snout. I have oars for the rapids if its too boney. I've never seen Cat under 20,000 so I don't know what to expect.
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Saw a comercial snout down there in august with low water once, did not see him in the rapids though, looked like a salty old guide that has been running it for a long time.
Have never run a snout, but looks like it might be tuff, big drop 3 in particular. It was maybe 5 or 7 something that trip? I went right at big drop 3 with 14' without that much water to spare, watched this chick from sherry griffith grease the left run in an 18 footer. Has been a few years.
Old 09-18-2015   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Plan on running rapids oct. 24th this year, if you happen to be down there same time i might be willing to make it worth your while for a push out( if we get a motor or not is up in air right now). Love cat in the fall, big sandy beaches, and weather is often good.
Old 09-18-2015   #6

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The run in needs good eyes for sandbars and/or spare props. If you're sharp, I think all the low water rapid runs are motorable. If you haven't seen the runs low it might be easier to keep the oars handy. My $.02...

Sent from my magical wireless thingy via mountainbuzz
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
8 years ago I ran Lots of private snout trip at flows down to 5K. You will have to pull your motor at DB 3 and a few other places. I think one place is at Ben Hurt where you run around the right side of the island stay close to the island. It's boney at the last part of the drop. It funny how memories fade with time. Now I live close to the Rogue and Illinois and can see the lines in my head. Were heading back to Cat end of next week but will be running an oar rig with a kicker motor.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015   #8
sj

In 02 a friend of mine ran a 22 snout down at about 2200. He had ran about 250 Grand trips at the time and it wasn't with out incident but 20000 should be more than enough. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
a couple weeks ago ~6500, we were checked by rangers on their snouts around Thelma and Louise point and later, 3 baby J's ran by us cleanly at big drop beach.
yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote