Motor Mount Question - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Motor Mount Question

Looking for different ways folks are mounting their motors. Any pictures that you have would be helpful. Any tips that you can suggest would help too.

How important is having the motor mount attached to the frame? (like with the NRS motor mount -- you can attach the motor mount to the main frame with two bars in the stern that run along the tops of the tubes). Currently I just have an inverted U Shaped mount on the back of my raft that is held in place with about 6 cam straps. I tested it out yesterday and there was some sagging going on. I know I needed more air in the boat but was just curious on other opinions on the need for having the mount tie into the main frame with bars.

Thanks for your time and thoughts,

Bongo

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
It's only important if you like keeping the baffles intact on your boat... or want to push a flotilla. Transferring the thrust of your prop through your frame and on to other boats frame to frame (oarlock to oarlock on your sides and diagonal from corners of frames if you stack, wedges and diamonds are the most efficient shapes - always push, never drag...) is always the most efficient method, both for handling and speed. There's a reason almost all the old rubber motor mounts on old Avons and Campways/Rikens split - UV partially responsible, but also just not a good design for transferring that torquey power to the boat. Your transom doesn't need to be against your back tube, by the way - you can leave a little space there (inches, and the less the better) and it will help with turning if you're running a short(er) shaft where the powerhead is too low to clear your tube.
No comments on short shafts...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
A 5-6 HP motor can produce a lot of force, enough to lift the bow of a loaded 15' boat. I'd be concerned running it only attached to a U on the stern of the boat. We have the stern frame/NRS motor mount on ours. Our motor pulls the whole frame backwards so we use extra straps to the bow d-rings to keep the frame in place.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Hi,

Here are two used on my boats over the years.

The triangular type strapped to the frame and rested on the rear tube. It is welded aluminum.

The other one bolted into the rear crossbar of the frame with NRS fittings. The plywood panels held a remote fuel tank and also sometimes were used to strap the motor down when not in use. It was made of galvanized tube I had bent in a muffler shop.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010231_1561159412963.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	637.3 KB
ID:	36455   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010147_1561159434879.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	655.3 KB
ID:	36457  

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Denver, Colorado
And what do you use for tiller/throttle extension? Or do you just sit on the stern? Thanks for the pics btw. I'd love to see a pic of the whole setup.
JFOinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

This is a trip I took on Powell with my 14' NRS E140. Note the long extension, which I could get away with because on the lake there was little to no need to reach the motor head for long periods of time. On moving water, I sat on the tube adjacent to the motor and ran it directly.

Also, seems I was using a mount that I forgot to mention, which sort of followed the shape of the tubes after being strapped to the rear of the frame.

Hop this helps.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190624_083137_1561383250000.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	36537  
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Ashland, Oregon
Here's what I cam up with (as long as the picture loads)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Ashland, Oregon
I'm on a mac - can I just drag stuff to this window? what's the best way to upload a picture? I did manage to start a mountain buzz album under misc. with the title motor mount but can't seem to get it on this thread---Bongo