Motor Heads..,Deso...Horsepower...Advice? - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Motor Heads..,Deso...Horsepower...Advice?

I know there is a lot of good info out there but wanted some feedback on a motor issue....looking to push 7 rafts with 25 people and all the gear on July 7 for Deso / Gray....

I appreciate all the pure feedback about just rowing it and if you need to say more in that area, of course, you are free to do so...

My question... [/B]I am looking at a 4 stroke, 9.9 horse, 1998 Yamaha motor. I am willing to have it checked out by a shop but will cost $100. Asking price is $800...

I am I on the right track? Is this motor overkill? Others issues?

- Bongo (total motor newbie)

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Ashland, Oregon
Another option could be a 1998 mercury long shaft 6hp - two stroke ...also at $800. Are these pretty loud? or not allowed on some rivers?
Thanks again to anyone who has advice on how this may work on a 15' raft..

Bongo
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
You gotta breathe the exhaust, too. Go for 4-stroke.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1970
Nice thing about a two-stroke: they are not sensitive to position when you have them off the transom. The 4-strokes have oil in the crankcase, and if they are positioned incorrectly it makes a real pain. Be careful not to pick an old Honda up by the tiller handle; my old Honda 10hp is on its 3rd tiller. They are a weak casting and a heavy motor and the tiller simply simply breaks off.
I use either 2 or 4 strokes. Many waters ban the 2-strokes. The old British Seagull ran a 16:1 or 10:1 gas/oil mix. Old outboards leaked, smoked, refused to start, and left a pretty rainbow colored oil sheen on the water. Moderns can't tolerate that idea. New 2-strokes run 100:1 gas/oil and they don't leak or smoke, but their old oily reputation still gets the 2-stroke banned. The 4-stroke Lehr outboard stands by itself as it runs on propane, so exhaust is a lot cleaner, but they cost a lot more to purchase. Still ... propane ... no spillage, and you're probably hauling propane anyway. Good luck! I hope this helps.
villagelightsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
9.9 horse is a heavy motor to lift/mount, but you will get to Jack's creek in plenty of time. Last year in late July I pushed my overloaded 16' raft and a buddy's 16' cat with 3 people on a 3.5hp short shaft Tohatsu just fine. Wen't through about 3.5 gal of fuel.
wack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1970
How many miles do you have to push that fleet? Are headwinds likely in that area? The kind of load and the kind of boat make a big difference too; 7 smallish cats are going to be a lot easier to move than 7 big, heavily laden bucket-boats!

"A Gentleman never sails against the wind. It simply isn't done, Old Chap."

(Somehow, I always end up rowing upwind.)
villagelightsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
How many hours a day are you planning on running your motor? How many gallons of petrol are you planning to bring? I would offer 600$ first, it's a 21 year old engine, still get it checked out and serviced. Motors can be a pain in the ass or a blessing in disguise, don't be too surprised if it craps out on you, shit happens, it's not the end of the world though. Definitely get the 4 stroker, 9.9 hp outboard is a little much, but bigger motors hold up better as they age. I would plan on 3/4 to 1 a gallon per/hour for fuel usage. If you bring five gallon fuel cans only fill to four gallons per can(expansion). I'm not going to get into tools, spare props, fire extinguisher, Holly Bible( to ask for forgiveness of foul words spoken to your motor), a quart of Holly Water to dab on it in the morning, etc. I will leave that to someone else. Have a nice trip and enjoy.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012

I pushed 6 raft fully loaded rafts with 15 people with a Suzuki 2.5 horse 4 stroke and it did fine. Did not set any speed records but we make good progress.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Missoula, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by villagelightsmith View Post
I use either 2 or 4 strokes. Many waters ban the 2-strokes. The old British Seagull ran a 16:1 or 10:1 gas/oil mix. Old outboards leaked, smoked, refused to start, and left a pretty rainbow colored oil sheen on the water. Moderns can't tolerate that idea. New 2-strokes run 100:1 gas/oil and they don't leak or smoke, but their old oily reputation still gets the 2-stroke banned.
I have a British Seagull that I've used to get down Snake lake, and to cruise some lakes around home with (no 2-stroke restrictions in MT, yet), and I nearly shat myself when I saw the recommended ratio. Biodegradable marine oil is good and all, but it still looks and smells like burning ass at that ratio. After experimenting, I've determined the old thing will run fine on 50:1 with no smoke or oil slick, as long as I give it a good few minutes in a barrel every few trips with the heavy stuff, to keep it lubed. It does sound like an angry chainsaw at full throttle, but I have a muffler idea for the intake to knock that down.

I love that smelly old motor, it's lightweight, doesn't care about how you store it, and has never not fired within 3 pulls. The manual winding starter can be a trick sometimes, though. Won't get you there all that fast, but it'll run and run and run on a half gallon of fuel.

Not exactly relevant to the thread, but it's rare to see BS motors brought up anymore.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
I have been through lots of different motors in the last 20 years. Like everything else, you’ll be a lot happier if you cry once and it works when you need it. I now have a 6 HP Tohatsu sail pro with 20” shaft and couldn’t be happier. Below is the prop guard I recommend.

Someone will probably follow up with three reasons not to use a guard but after spending the money on a nice motor the last thing I want to do is replace the lower unit.

There is pic on our resources page https://www.whitewaterworthy.com/resources/
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote