Mosquito report on the Yampa/ Green? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-15-2015   #1
peanutranch

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1980
Mosquito report on the Yampa/ Green?

Launching on the 18th of June, water is dropping, anyone give a trip report on skeeters/ bugs? Thank you my people.

peanutranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015   #2

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Gates put in bad on june 6, Island park camp site bad on june 10th. The other camps were ok in between.
Old 06-17-2015   #3
Gary F

Philipsburg, Montana
Paddling Since: 1984
mosquitos on the green

June in Island park........yup lots of'em. We did the Green last June and got tore up through the slow water. It wasn't bad where the water flows faster. Through Split mountain it wasn't bad at all.
kokoroltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2015   #4

Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Still pretty terrible at Island Park as of the 18th.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
rockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015   #5

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I was not permit holder or we would have floated out and skipped the park, fall yes, late spring and summer no.
Old 06-21-2015   #6

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
We have a Deso launch Tuesday the 30th. The group has only done Deso April to mid-May and not for 10 yrs.

We do big spring water in MT and ID but are a little nervous about Mosquitos and heat especially with kids in tow this trip. We have even broken down and purchased bimini's. Any other sage advise to protect our blood and skin?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
washoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1995
I'd rent a screened cabin for the night before launch. And since you have kids I'd break down and buy (or borrow) one of those totally enclosed screen tents. Cost you about $75 but worth its weight in gold for that first night on river. Bugs usually get better by Jack Creek. A fly for shade at camp is a must if this heat wave continues plus an umbrella or two for a couple boats will help keep the kids cool (if the wind stays down to use them). Good luck!
paddler75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015   #8
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
This works well:

Amazon.com: ThermaCELL MR-BJE Mosquito Repellent Personal Pest Control Appliance in Brown with Earth Scent Mats: Sports & Outdoors

Get a couple of refillable packs, the unit only comes with 3 pads

Also, I strongly recommend full body bug net suits. I've used them a couple of times at Jack Creek. Good call on biminis, they are awesome for kids. Bring lots of clean water, the heat will dehydrate everyone and kids especially.
Old 06-22-2015   #9

last year on the yampa about this time they were beyond bad at the put in and island park and echo park. I come from the south where skeeters are normal but I never thought they could be so thick that they blocked out the sun and they are immune to normal bug spray.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Just pulled off the Yampa/Green yesterday. Island Park and Big(bug) Island were bad until the sun went down then all was fine until morning light. Pesky mini mosquitos, not so thick they blotted out the sun though.

All other campsites were fine. Water levels were still very good although the drop was readily apparent under the boats each morning.
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote