http://vaildaily.com/article/20070803/LETTER/70802046

randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007   #2

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
That article is SAD in many ways. I'm literally speechless!!
This guys daughter probably fell out on purpose so she could use it as an excuse to never have to Fly FIsh or do anything else with her ding a ling DAD!!
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #3

Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Holy crap. yes Dr. Cockerell, we need to screen the GUIDES better. You and your pussy ass family werent the problem, it was the guide. I think that sometimes customers feel like the pfd and helmet are a costume only. I blame Disney for making people think that rafting is an amusement ride.
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007   #4

Winter Park, Colorado
She wasn't fly fishing.

UNfortunately the guide didn't teach them what to do in that sort of situation and it was probably because she felt it was "just Shoshone", or if she did talk to them about it she didn't stress the "you must save yourself before you save others". Sounds like the daughter isn't the only one that panicked!!!!
And that statement about there being only one person who could save people..the one adult male under 50...bullshit. Both my parents are over 50 and they would be the first people that I trusted to get others back in the boat.

It sucks this happened. Rafting is a great sport.
Boat-ERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #5

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
At the bottom of the daily page, there is the opportunity to post comments that the general public can see when they read the letter/article.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Maybe a change in terminology in the business is needed to get custies and raft company employee to fall into their natural role in the boat. Instead of calling the raft company employee "guides", from which the uneducated general public may infer that they are solely responsible guiding the boat down the river, they should call them "guy (or gal) that sits in the back of the boat and yells commands that your fat ass damn well better obey or else we're all gunna die!" (GTSITBOTBAYCTYFADWBOOEWAGD).

If Dr. Cockerell thought he had a GTSITBOTBAYCTYFADWBOOEWAGD in the back of his boat instead of a guide, they wouldn't have hit that rock!
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #7

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for the link. I have a whitewater blog on the Vail Daily's website that I just started partially because it seems usually the people who are published speaking about the subject are spewing a bunch of B.S. and don't know what they are talking about. The good Dr. probably would be appaled if I was published saying something like "If I had endured another minute of the painful procedure, I would have surely died" without knowing what the hell I was talking about.

Anyways, I am going to write a piece about the topic, and specifically address all of the B.S.; people speculating about incidents, assuming things about guides' experience level, custies fitness levels, etc. is all just B.S.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #8

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I don’t know what “nearly capsize” means specifically but I would assume that the guide didn’t think the raft was going to flip so she didn’t call it and it turned out to be the correct call, they did not flip. You can hit a rock without flipping. Frankly, it sounds like everything worked perfectly for the doctor after people started swimming. They where probably told to self rescue during the safety talk and that is what happened. I don't think that the doctor understands the safety issues involved with a rope in the water, especially in a rapid and that it should really be a last resort. By my definition anyway a class III trip, and I think (I just ran the Shoshone this weekend and this is an normal III) is a good beginner “family trip” if you want to go “white water rafting” perhaps he would have had better luck finding a trip that he was more comfortable with if he had asked for a “float trip” which by my definition anyway would be class II. Perhaps the family was just not comfortable with people swimming and frankly I can sympathize but the only way to eliminate the chances of that happening is by not going. So all in all I don’t understand what the big deal is…
Old 08-06-2007   #9
Old Timme'

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat-ERS View Post
She wasn't fly fishing.

UNfortunately the guide didn't teach them what to do in that sort of situation and it was probably because she felt it was "just Shoshone", or if she did talk to them about it she didn't stress the "you must save yourself before you save others". Sounds like the daughter isn't the only one that panicked!!!!
Arg!! Unfortunately this time of the year Complacency starts to set in...not saying this is why it happened however, I heard about this one straight from the horses..... you know and the picture wasn't pretty.
Well having spent 17 years giving safety talks and thinking that only about 10% actually retain the info (even after stopping my talks to regain their attention) it is no wonder "deer in the headlights" took place...10 year old it will happen to anyways. On any other given year this article would not have been published since this happens nearly every week on Shoshone... but since this is the new hot topic in our media lets all talk about our horrific swims...I got a few including a Kerschbaum swim that left me with scars... anyway maybe Bush could do something stupid to distract us...please Wag the Dog!
Mad_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting