Moose Juice Madness - Selway 2013 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-26-2014   #1

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Moose Juice Madness - Selway 2013

After being skunked on $64 worth of permit applications this year, I remembered how fortunate I was to draw a Selway last year.
Here's some video of our Day 4 excitement that followed a two day Tony Point layover.
Some highlights to look for / jump to:
  • 1:48 - I get surfed in a hole I had no business getting close to, longest one minute I've experienced recently.
    Shortly after body-bumping my way out, there's a whistle - Laura has flipped in Double Drop just below, the race is on.
    6:00 - Finally catch up to someone - DC & Tubie who now has Laura on the back of his cat.
    Buck is reportedly still riding the upside down raft somewhere downriver, time to step on the gas.
    7:10 - Am able to give the boat with Buck a shove to the left bank where I expect he'll disembark and catch a ride with a trailing boat
    9:00 - Here comes the boat mid-stream again with Buck still aboard, WTF?
    11:00 - After Buck rides down along the left bank at Wapoots, it looks like he and the kayakers may have stopped the boat for another exit attempt.
    11:45 - But No!, here they come again, this time with Buck hanging off the side with Ladle around the corner.
    I finally decide to get a rope tied to the frame so I'll have something to throw if we pass each other again.
    Also - note Ted and crew running down the trail river right chasing the parade
    13:45 - Mike is surfing a hole at the top of Ladle, bumped him out and ran down the center (didn't have any conscious knowledge that I was in Ladle at this point, fully in chase mode).
    14:50 - Spot Buck on left bank (guess that Ladle finally convinced him to abandon ship) and pull over to offer a lift.
This is just one perspective of the day, there were fifteen other views, some certainly saw things differently.
It was an amazing day on an amazing river. Lots of stories to tell camp afterwards.

Best news of today - I got word a friend in our permit party just scored a March 20, 2015 GC launch!

Ahoy!

malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thx for posting, from the other thread I gather this is the 11k/4-4.5 feet range. Great to see recent video.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #3

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I dig it!
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014   #4

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
I recognize that light blue AIRE urethane 156R....Heard that fella's an heir to some mustard fortune.
Old 02-27-2014   #5

North Creek, New York
Paddling Since: 1997
Don't choke on your toothpick!
natepelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #6

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by natepelton View Post
Don't choke on your toothpick!
Hah! Yeah, I couldn't believe I still had it after that surf, though it was getting down to splinter size.
That's been my cig substitute for several years, guess it can also be hazardous at times.
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #7

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Very cool. What was the rapid at around 21:30ish or so?

Is that the trip where one of the commercial trips down stream corraled the flipped raft?
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
Very cool. What was the rapid at around 21:30ish or so?

Is that the trip where one of the commercial trips down stream corraled the flipped raft?
Having to rely on old maps and notes but at 20:34 you can see Puzzle Creek coming in from river left. At 21:30 Jerry is dropping into No Slouch. It is several hundred yards downstream from Puzzle with hardly any breathing room in there.

If you notice he covers that in one minute. One person who watched the vid with me said "Well that doesn't look that bad" but in the current you are going 15 mph at that pace ( 400 to 500 yards in a minute) and I agree it doesn't 'look' that bad but it is very hard to stop and/or get boats out of the current.

I helped get the raft pinned in an eddy with a couple of kayakers helping. It was hard.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #9
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
So just watched the whole thing to analyze a bit and see if I could figure out what went wrong…..I really don't like seeing my friends swim Buck looked pretty freaked out when he crawled on to Jerry's cat. Jerry is running the cat with the go pro on it. Jerry was the PH but I put the trip together and feel responsible for when I see my buddies get beat up. Do not like.

I will preface this by saying that we laid over the day before and some of us may have been moving a little slow that morning. I carry the kitchen so am usually the last to get rigged. Laurie and Buck in the boat that was to flip in Double Drop bumped out of the eddy ahead of me. I have to say I didn't really have a problem with that as I love to lead but like to give others that chance too and I thought we would run Double Drop and eddy out above Ladle. I have done this river five times before, Laurie was boating really well and I truly thought Ladle would be our big obstacle. Lesson here never let your guard down and don't be lax on your running order. There is one kayak further downstream that you don't see besides the red one that eddied out as soon as Jerry started surfing.

Slow start and the cat boaters went over to the eddy between Moose Creek and the Selway. You see Laurie head out followed by me.
So…my boat is the blue boat in front of Jerry's at about 1:30. After the surf you hear my whistle at about 3:11. Laurie has flipped on the wave that you see Jerry run at 4:30, it is deceptive how hard the current pushes to the right. I entered stern first pointing left and pulling hard to the left and didn't have a problem missing it. Laurie had also added Buck to her load and he is not small. Buck had SUPed down to Moose Creek. Yes you read that right SUP - he is a badass.

At 6:00 you can see Tubie has picked up Laurie, DC is in the gray Avon. I can continue to chase and so does Jerry in the camera cat. At 7:00 or so I got close to the flipped raft and almost got Buck to my boat. I got the impression he wanted to stay on to try to stop it in an eddy, I should have said F the boat and get on. Not close enough to jump he would have had to swim. I was trying to balance not running over the kayaks who were trying to push the boat into the eddy and Buck seeming to be ok and them almost having it stopped. Jerry rams the boat at 7:15 and they looked to be really close to the shore. Key here was the almost part, that current on the side was still moving. Jerry was quicker moving around so I backed out. Not seeing any possible eddy for my 17 footer I moved to the other side of the river and tried to stop there at 8:15.

Buck on the raft go sailing by at 9:15 with kayaks in chase. Jerry peels out too and I do as well. The other cats are right there so I hold back just a bit feeling they are more nimble to maneuver. At 11:50 Buck goes by again after being banged around at the top of Wapoots. He was partially entangled at that point after going over the rock at the top of Wapoots at a weird angle and sliding into, under perimeter line or a strap - I am not sure which.

13:24 - oh shit Ladle. Jerry was still chasing and watching for Buck. I was behind a bit watching them run. At 15:35 you see me go by and I see Buck getting out and Jerry making the eddy where he would end up. Thank God. I continue to give chase to the boat and in the middle of that which you don't see on the vid is Mike flipping his cat right in front of me in No Slouch running down the left line. Jerry ran a little further right in the camera cat. Those are big waves in No Slouch.

We finally got all our shit back together down by Divide Creek.

I needed to look carefully at this and write down my thoughts. It was draining and a bit hard to process at the time so I had to do this to see what we could have done differently or better for the next time.

Great vid Jerry. Thanks for taking care of Buck.

When we finally got to Tango Bar I completely crashed. Due to the whole let down from the adrenaline rush. Apparently a tipi was erected over me and I never moved for the next few hours.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #10

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Excellent narrative, carvedog! I'll have to watch it again sometime this weekend. We're on our first Selwey trip in mid July. I know it won't be anywhere near that level, but looking forward to it. I'd like to run it at the level shown in the video...I think.

Kayakers can be handy to have on a trip.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote