Moab Daily - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-25-2016   #1

Breckenridge, Colorado
Moab Daily

Does anyone have new beta with current flows. Going camping in M this weekend and want to throw the SUP in for some fun, but have not run that section at that flow rate. THanks.

Summit rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016   #2

Twin Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
It's running about 21000 cfs right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
All4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #3

telluride, Moab, UT
Paddling Since: 1977
It will be pretty exciting at that level, but there is a mellow stretch if you put in at take out beach and go downstream from there. I could link up w you if you want a friend to SUP.
mcmarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016   #4

Frisco, Colorado
What about from Hittle Bottom to Take-Out Beach? From what I've read it's just a bunch of larger wave trains, stout eddy fences and a notable hole on the right side of White's.
Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #5

telluride, Moab, UT
Paddling Since: 1977
I am sure people are doing it. Bring a drysuit and a leash and expect to have some fun. You can skirt sides and always get down to your knees. I did the grand this Jan and we had a 17 year old who boggie boarded every rapid. I was thinking about rigging an inflatable kayak seat on my SUP for high water daily trips and use a kayak paddle, then the dog could go.
mcmarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #6

salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
Just ran it in a kayak over the weekend. New rapid was definitely the crux of the run. Stay left in whites and you'll be fine

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Noah T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
New Rapid and Rocky Rapid are no joke on an SUP when it's running high. New's wave trains culminate in a massive whirlpool that are no problem for a raft or kayak but serious on an SUP. Likewise, the entire right side of Rocky Rapid is undercut with strong swirly currents. Had a friend on an SUP there last year at high water (29K if I recall) who fell off her board and went for a long, deep, scary swim. All was well in the end but it taught me a lesson about easy runs in high water. Treat it like any other flood stage run. It's not the usual booze cruise at these levels on an SUP.

Aknoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016   #8

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
hhhmmmm......

Just looked at it yesterday... it will be a fast run! I do that stretch a lot and on the current flow at the New Rapid etc it would be intimidating. Most beaches are underwater as you can imagine and its flowing fast. Like another said, below Take Out Beach your good.
Old 05-27-2016   #9

Eagle Mountian, Utah
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknoff View Post
New Rapid and Rocky Rapid are no joke on an SUP when it's running high. New's wave trains culminate in a massive whirlpool that are no problem for a raft or kayak but serious on an SUP. Likewise, the entire right side of Rocky Rapid is undercut with strong swirly currents. Had a friend on an SUP there last year at high water (29K if I recall) who fell off her board and went for a long, deep, scary swim. All was well in the end but it taught me a lesson about easy runs in high water. Treat it like any other flood stage run. It's not the usual booze cruise at these levels on an SUP.

Even in a raft. We ran it at 25,000 and the wave train at New dumped us into the whirling eddy on the left. As I got into position to peel out in the current the eddy line surged and nearly flipped my 15' raft, had to high side to keep it from going over. But that's what I was thinking...grocery run no big deal whoops. The same day my mother in law flipped her IK on the right side of Rocky rapid and went into a whirl pool beneath the rock overhang on that side she had a deep long swim there. But it looks like levels are dropping now.
Strieby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
So where is the New Rapid on the daily? Sounds like we got one up on the Yampa too.

We had a day camping at (Whites?) a beach at the tail of a rapid with a big hole at the top and a small cliff on the right. With three humans and a dog and a 5 gal micro-keg on a 14 footer my judgement got the best of me and we went around it on purpose and pulled onto the beach for camp. We spent the afternoon pulling in the gear and swimmers we could and finishing that micro-keg off. Great carnage day. Level was 15K, seems like that hole is there from there on up.

Levels are dropping now because of another cold front slowing it down again, snow is still accumulating. There is lot of water left in the high country and it is only just now starting to melt. Looking at another father's day peak on the Ark.

High water doesn't know what Class II means so gear up, keep some semblance of sobriety, and pay attention!
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote