Mini Max/Small raft question - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-06-2014   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Mini Max/Small raft question

Finally able to get a raft, Hyside Mini Max.

While the primary use for it will be quick paddle raft day trips, we do plan on some R2 overnights. Should I make a suspended plywood floor for the back to store our gear, dry bags, couple ammo cans, etc.?

BlackPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
i would be careful with out a frame. i would say with no frame no floor. you could build out a simple frame with nrs parts. if your just paddle boating strap your dry bags down, keep the metal ammo cans out of there too (unless you have a frame and by extension a floor).
Jon Brower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Thanks Jon, the only thing that got me thinking about the cans & floor was the "reusable toilet" requirement for some of these R2 trips we want to do. Any suggestions on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPaw View Post
Thanks Jon, the only thing that got me thinking about the cans & floor was the "reusable toilet" requirement for some of these R2 trips we want to do. Any suggestions on that?
A plastic bucket system would work great and seems to be a favorite of upshitcreeks
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
thanks!
Old 03-06-2014   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
yeah you will probably find that i would push towards a frame for this kind of stuff and you could just row it. i get paddle boating though it is a great way to cut your teeth. with that being said you might look into a mesh beaver tail that they sell. it would connect with cam straps to your rear 3/4/6 d rings (depending on config) and it would not be as ridged as a wood beaver tail and also provide the protection from rub/wear on your rubber. also it lighter and just generally easier. check this out Raft King Sling - Cargo Gear
Jon Brower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Right on, thanks everyone!
Old 03-06-2014   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
You could perhaps use a trailer frame, a small simple rectangular frame that you could use to stow the the harder/metal gear like an ammo box. It may be difficult to configure it when you only have two compartments in the boat. If you have a removable thwart, that may help. You may also be able to wrap the ammo box in a softer material like closed cell foam to protect the rubber.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
That's a good idea DoStep, I just want to take care of the raft and I do like the regular ammo can type commode.

The bucket type ('Restop Commode') seem ok too, but have heard mixed reviews on them.
Old 03-06-2014   #10

Evergreen, Colorado
With a mini max it would be hard to run a trailer frame while r2ing. When we r2 big whitewater you want to sit between the thwarts so you can have somewhere to lock your feet in. If its just a booze cruse two guys could sit in the back if you have a heavy load up front to keep the weight even inwhich you could run a trailer frame. like Jon said a mesh beaver tail in the back would work the best. Since the bow and stern in those things are so small you can run some straps to make a spider web like net that you can lay tarp on then pile gear on that. Ive never ran into an issue trying to find a place for the groover box while paddle boating. From my experience every time we do an overnighter we have such minimal gear we just start of with something soft like a sleeping pad or a tarp then the beer and groover right next to each other of course. We live in Evergreen area and all have mini boats its a blast give me a shout if you want to go hit some whitewater!