Mini cat for the collection, worth it? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-28-2015   #1

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
Mini cat for the collection, worth it?

Hey buzzards, I've been contemplating buying one of the outcAst 9-10'ers after doing some research. Not a big fisherman, but they sure look fun. Have a 12' raft and tomcat solo. Sold my truck last year as I am about to have my second kid and needed to save money. Even considered selling my raft since I've only gotten it out a few times since having my first kid, now 2.5. Tend to get the IK out more these days time and babysitter permitting, but think I'll keep the raft and so I can get the kids on board on when they can swim.

Anyway got some good feedback from cataraft girl and If I invest in a 9' pac or fish cat would probably use it along with my IK or have to have a friend tag along in my IK. Seems like people keep em forever. Been searching Craigslist all over New York State and can't seem to find one used. Worth the money for another toy? Good trout fishing around, could get into that or just have for smaller creeks, or to take to the lake the summer. Thoughts?

amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015   #2

i have an 11x19 jacks plastic with a frame that i built. it feels really small, i do not think i would ever go any smaller for whitewater.
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #3

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
What kind of water do you want to use it on?
You already have a relatively small, rowing, inflatable (12' raft). If it were me, I would consider a hard shell, sit inside, touring kayak -- something like a Necky Manitou 14 -- unless of course you are thinking mostly class II+ and above. A kayak in the category mentioned is very versatile: lakes, rivers, sit inside keeps you dry -- could extend your season in NY (or is it Phoenix?).
Anyway, that's just my 2 cents, in case it's useful.
Any additional boat is obviously a good idea!
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015   #4

GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
If you're asking the question you've already got the answer. I've got an Aire Jag, 13' Achilles bucket, and a 9' cat. I have had so much fun with the little cat. Solo trips on the Smith, many days fishing high mountain lakes, and many days on the Mo. I'm thinking about taking my little cat on my MFS trip this July and meeting the rest of the group at Indian Cr. I hope you get the picture. If you have the means, DO IT.
Mark
AirEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #5

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
Yeah thanks. Upstate NY. A lot of class II creeks around and flat water is what I was thinking would be fun for solo in a mini cat. Use my raft and ducky for class III+. Most everyone up here hard shells. Just need a friend or two for the raft and haven't met any boaters within 20+ miles around here. Larger whitewater kayaking community south of buffalo.
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #6

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have a 9 footer that I use mostly as a fishing platform. It is a lot of fun and a good boat for a newbie as it is forgiving. It serves about the same function as a one person duckie.

Pro's
1. You sit up higher, so it is less of a wet ride than the duckie
2. I can car top it fully assembled on my subaru forester
3. Easy to carry solo, makes it possible to hike into the launch or put-in from almost any bridge.
4. Tubes roll up small enough to fit into a duffel bag, so it is an easy boat to bring along on a mutli day trip as a play toy.

Con's
1. Can't really hold more than a day trip worth of gear. It is easily overloaded and ends up badly out of trim.
2. High profile of the tubes + light weight = sucks in the wind.
3. Doesn't row well on flat water, mine has a lot of rocker and doesn't like to track straight.
4. Some of the cheaper ones use non-standard valves and oarlocks which are near impossible to replace.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #7

GF, Montana
On the Cons I have these observations:
1. It's easy to strap a dry bag onto the front of each tube thus trimming the boat.
2. Never had a problem with wind and I live in a very windy environment.
3. Mine has good rocker and with good rowing technique rows well on flat water.
4. I've rowed mine with 5+ days of comfortable solo gear and good food and drink and had easy trips.
Old 03-28-2015   #8

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Your boat must be bigger than mine... and you row better.

9' x 16" dia tubes.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #9

GF, Montana
Nope, it,s a Back Water 9'. Not quite as aggressive rocker as the boat you pictured but similar. I'll be back shortly to explain the loading and trim.
Mark
Old 03-28-2015   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have an Outcast Pac 1000 10 ft X 18 inch tubes. Super fun little boat. It's what I learned on in class II-III whitewater before a got a "real" cataraft. I still have it and I'm hoping to do some weekend trips with it this summer (Southfork Snake, Green section B)? I've done weekend tips with it in the past going backpacker style. I also have a Necky Vector 13 SOT touring kayak. I'll use it this summer for Lake Powell, Colorado River Glen Canyon Dam to Lees Ferry, overnighters in Grand Teton Nat. park, maybe paddle in Yellowstone a little bit, etc.

A few years ago we saw a flotilla of mini cats on the MFS in September. They had a couple support rafts. We talked with them at the Cache Bar takeout. They had a blast. They all flipped at least once during the week. Had fun & caught a ton of fish. Each one carried their personal gear and the rafts carried the group gear, food, coolers, etc.