Mini Camp Fire Defender received - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2020   #1

Jenks, Oklahoma
Mini Camp Fire Defender received

Just got my mini trail blazer via UPS

Super pleased with it. I have the big unit for group use.

This mini looks just perfect for the times I am truck camping alone. I rarely do campfires but do a lot of Dutch Oven cooking. This mini looks just about right for my GSI 12's. I will probably use a smaller pizza pan on the mesh just like I do on the regular size.

A big high five to the manufacturer. Well Done

The unit more or less assembled itself. I think they have improved their tolerances a bit from the original kick starter big fire pan I got. Every thing including the mesh was easy to assemble.

A big thank you for the storage bag. It is plenty big. I kept the poly bag for the grill. If possible if this bag could be made just a bit thicker it would be good. I plan to baby my bag and keep the grease on the grill off the storage bag. Maybe a large zip loc will fit as well.

Bottom line: Great job Campfire Defender. another good product from you all. thanks to kickstarter as well.

okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020   #2

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
I received mine as well. It will be perfect for a charcoal legal Grand Canyon fire pan. I have added a few pictures to show that a 12" dutch oven fits just right. I made a solid bottom for it to support a dutch oven legs. The solid bottom breaks down into three pieces that will fit in the carrying bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dutch Oven 1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	823.5 KB
ID:	44765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire pan 1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	734.6 KB
ID:	44767  

Name:	Fire pan 2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	861.6 KB
ID:	44769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire pan 3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	911.7 KB
ID:	44771  

dsrtrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
dsrtrat,

is that just 3 pieces of aluminum? or what kind of metal

looks like a very good mod to make a good product better for us Dutch Oven folks.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020   #4

St. George, Utah
6061 aluminum 16 gauge (.060) cut to 4 1/2 inches wide so there is overlap. I will try it out soon to see how it holds up, may have to go to 14 gauge if it warps.
I have a similar set for my full size pan but used 4 pieces of 1/8 for extra stiffness. The large pieces fit in the quad fold grill case. I wouldn't use the solid bottom for a wood fire as I would worry about heat dispersion.
Old 04-09-2020   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I got mine as well! I might have to toke it up this weekend. My extruded aluminum sides seem to be a little out of square, the gap in the corners gets larger the higher up they go, I gave concerns rangers may not approve of the gappage. Has anyone else experienced this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200408_101242721_1586444678226.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	44783  
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020   #6

St. George, Utah
I noticed the same thing with mine was going to wait until I had a fire in it to see if it presents a problem. It seems to me that the holes in the side pieces are a bit oversized for the size of stand uprights. I measured them at 9/16 and the uprights at just short of 1/2 inch. The the grommets in the mesh seem a little big as well.

The large pan has a tighter fit. Some people complained about the tight fit on the large pan so maybe the made the small pan a bit looser. I was thinking an easy fix would be to pop rivet some 1/2 or 5/8 aluminum angles on two of the side pieces to close up the gap.