Middle Fork Trip Leader - choice for alternates? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 03-17-2015   #1

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Middle Fork Trip Leader - choice for alternates?

Howdy folks.

Lucky enough to have another Middle Fork trip this year, but I'm not entirely sure I can do the trip. I don't want to leave the group stranded, so I'm inquiring about the possibility of an alternate trip leader in the event that I can't go.

I can't find a single thing about this on the MFS site from the USFS. Have any of you dealt with this issue? If so, can you name an alternate?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015   #2

GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
It is my understanding that the "PERMIT HOLDER" must be on the entire trip. If the permit is in your name you have to be there and cannot transfer it to another person. This kinda sucks but those are the rules.
AirEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #3

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
AirEms is correct. No alternates. Permit holder must be present at time of issue. If you can't go, please cancel as soon as you can so the permit can go back into the system and be used. If you wait too long...it is forfeited.
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015   #4

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I have heard rumor of exceptions for severe and sudden medical issues but that was long ago.

Your best bet is to cancel it after people stop watching the site very much and have someone stay up for 24 straight hours hitting refresh incessantly.

Unless it is August 15-September 15. Then kill who you have to kill to go because that permit is lost forever.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #5

Hey that reminds me i need to get on the page and start hitting refresh to find a permit.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #6

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
........so I'm inquiring about the possibility of an alternate trip leader in the event that I can't go.
Are there any lottery permit rivers that allow transfer after the permits are drawn? Otherwise I have my 85 year old mom and dad, all of my non-boating friends and anyone else I can think of apply and then transfer the permit to me.
Old 03-17-2015   #7

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
Are there any lottery permit rivers that allow transfer after the permits are drawn? Otherwise I have my 85 year old mom and dad, all of my non-boating friends and anyone else I can think of apply and then transfer the permit to me.

Yeah sure, the Salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
The Grand allows for transfer to an alternate trip leader. Must name said person before the lottery is closed. And if that person has fewer points so does your chance of scoring.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #9

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
i just did this on the san juan. i scored a permit for that one in early june then picked up a middle fork cancellation. can't do both and wanted to do the middle fork, so i accepted the san juan and named my friend as the alternate trip leader.
Old 03-17-2015   #10

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sembob View Post
The Grand allows for transfer to an alternate trip leader. Must name said person before the lottery is closed.
Yes, the Rogue does this also. And like the Grand, your name can only appear on one lottery application, either as a TL or alternate. Most people do not list alternates and instead have each person submit their own application to increase the odds of their group being drawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
Yeah sure, the Salt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
i just did this on the san juan.
So in effect, for the Salt and San Juan, the number of applications a person can "submit" is only limited by the number of people they know that are willing to turn over any permit drawn to them? Not that any boater would ever game the system. And it also opens up a secondary market for river permits. Anybody want to give me a donation and I will give you this river permit I am not going to use? I imagine selling a noncommercial permit would be illegal.