Middle Fork Salmon - Voluneteer - Salmon REDD protection program - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

white salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Middle Fork Salmon - Voluneteer - Salmon REDD protection program

Got this in my email today and thought someone out there might be into it.

OMG! Would you like to spend time on the Middle Fork Salmon River without having to compete for a permit?!?

The Middle Fork Outfitter Association (MFOA) is looking for volunteers to assist with protecting salmon and redds on the Middle Fork Salmon River. The primary purpose of the Redd Alert volunteer program is to make focused contact with Middle Fork boaters to promote redd avoidance awareness and hand out Redd Alert boat stickers. This volunteer program is supported by the USFS. MFOA provides a $30/day stipend to cover expenses. The Middle Fork Outfitter Association will provide camping equipment and necessary logistical support for our volunteers.

The 2018 volunteer program was instrumental with increasing compliance rate, avoiding redds, to 86% in 2018 from 58% in 2017 (no volunteers). The volunteers work closely and supplement the pre-trip message of the USFS river interpreters (checkers) to boaters. MFOA will provide an orientation training for all volunteers.

Anyone interested in becoming a Redd Alert should contact Grant Simonds, ([email protected] or [email protected]) 208.867.2138

Dates Available

Boundary Creek: September 1-15

Indian Creek- Plane/boat access only: August 15-27

Indian Creek Plane/boat access only: September 1-15

donutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Golden, Colorado
The only way Id volunteer is if they go back to reissuing the cancelled permits for that period to private boaters.

Without that, they can all go fuck themselves.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

white salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
I'll let them know

The reason they don't reissue is to keep the REDDS as safe as possible. The less boats = less chance that they get run over. Thanks for taking the time to read my original post and contribute.
donutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Doesn't seem like a scientifically valid way to protect salmon redds.

Are the people who pick up cancellations in September more likely to damage nursery areas?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutboy View Post
The reason they don't reissue is to keep the REDDS as safe as possible. The less boats = less chance that they get run over. Thanks for taking the time to read my original post and contribute.
Not trying to be contradictory, but the non re-issue of permits does nothing to help the salmon. Not one fucking thing.

I have spent hours and hours watching salmon on spawning beds on the upper Main Salmon. In '93, '94 and '95 when they were doing endangered species studies on the fall run Chinook. One of my 'jobs' on occasion was to watch the salmon on the redds.

The redds are not in shallow enough water to be impacted at all by a boat floating over them. We used to float over the redds quite a bit. We just wouldn't row in those areas and practiced quiet floating. Even if we floated over the fish they often wouldn't even move. Sometimes just to the side and then right back on. If you have ever watched them they do this randomly on their own quite often. Sometimes drifting downstream and then right back up.

Then National Marine Fisheries and US Fish and Wildlife got ahold of the data and decided that if a salmon moved off the redd for more than five seconds it was considered a 'take' - the same as if you had killed the fish. There are thousands killed in the dam systems every year. That is part of their 'take' permitting to operate the dam. They won't do anything about that, but they can say they are doing something in the spawning beds. Perfect government solution. Create a problem that had no impact on anything and vilify it, the next step is banning rafting completely.

And most of the salmon that travel thru the Middle Fork spawn in the tributaries anyway.

Reducing rafting permits is the most bullshit solution to a major problem in the history of bullshit solutions.

That said. Some education about how to reduce possible interaction and impact on salmon isn't a bad thing I suppose, but the whole premise of this is not awesome.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Maintaining rafting permits would create more pro-Salmon allies, no?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
The back story I heard on this issue was that at the time this policy was implemented, there was talk of reducing the amount of commercial traffic on the Middle Fork.

Initially, the proposal was not due to any wildlife or habitat issues, but rather just to reduce general crowding. It subsequently got wrapped in a habitat "wrapper" to get more leverage.

Action was indeed taken to reduce traffic, but it was the private boaters that got thrown under the bus with the no cancellation reissue policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Not trying to be contradictory, but the non re-issue of permits does nothing to help the salmon. Not one fucking thing.

I have spent hours and hours watching salmon on spawning beds on the upper Main Salmon. In '93, '94 and '95 when they were doing endangered species studies on the fall run Chinook. One of my 'jobs' on occasion was to watch the salmon on the redds.

The redds are not in shallow enough water to be impacted at all by a boat floating over them. We used to float over the redds quite a bit. We just wouldn't row in those areas and practiced quiet floating. Even if we floated over the fish they often wouldn't even move. Sometimes just to the side and then right back on. If you have ever watched them they do this randomly on their own quite often. Sometimes drifting downstream and then right back up.

Then National Marine Fisheries and US Fish and Wildlife got ahold of the data and decided that if a salmon moved off the redd for more than five seconds it was considered a 'take' - the same as if you had killed the fish. There are thousands killed in the dam systems every year. That is part of their 'take' permitting to operate the dam. They won't do anything about that, but they can say they are doing something in the spawning beds. Perfect government solution. Create a problem that had no impact on anything and vilify it, the next step is banning rafting completely.

And most of the salmon that travel thru the Middle Fork spawn in the tributaries anyway.

Reducing rafting permits is the most bullshit solution to a major problem in the history of bullshit solutions.

That said. Some education about how to reduce possible interaction and impact on salmon isn't a bad thing I suppose, but the whole premise of this is not awesome.