Middle Fork Salmon information needed - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-11-2016   #1

Upland, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Middle Fork Salmon information needed

Good day to all!
Well after submitting permits for 12 years, I got the middle fork. I know relatively nothing about it, in the way I usually like to know. Advice, etc., etc. would be helpful, to this novice. Direction to resources would help as well. Just bought the book on amazon. The Middle Fork of the Salmon River : A Comprehensive Guide
Thanks in advance!

Jbertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2016   #2

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
You'll get some advice but use the search function you will find more than a guide books info on older threads covering the same topic.
!!!!CONGRATULATION!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016   #3

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1994
Here are a few great resources:

- Whitewater Guidebook description: Middle Fork of the Salmon River | Whitewater Guidebook

- Blackadar Boating (rentals and shuttles): Blackadar Boating

- Snowpack: Snow Station Information - BANNER SUMMIT

Have fun!
zcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2016   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
What's your date?
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1955
Ditto: June 1, MF and Aug 10 MF are not the same river.
cahatch52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016   #6

Santa Cruz, California
I'd also be interested to hear info/advice about the MF in June....I entered the lottery for the first time this January and somehow scored a permit for June 9! Looks like a big snowpack so far - what are peoples opinions about the difficulty level changing after a big snowpack? I figure this June may be > 6ft?
Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016   #7

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Fork-Sa.../dp/1424302668

Matt Leidecker book for the MFS. Best guidebook I've ever used for a river I've floated. Highly recommended!
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016   #8

Vail, Colorado
most memorable things from our June MFS trip,

Amazing weather
Running at 3.5'
Get to the put in ramp early in the day before commercial trips monopolize the boat ramp and wheelbarrows down to the water
At 3.5' water level at put in, be prepared for the wild side of the river to start immediately as there is swift water and little bite for your oars
Every campsite was amazing
If you bring a tarp or river wing for kitchen shelter make sure to have the heavy duty grommets installed before the trip
Make sure to enjoy the feeling of nearly taco'ing at Velvet
Chugging beers after read n run on Tappan
And get to the put in campsite the day before and leave time before dinner to hike up to dagger falls

Enjoy. I will keep applying every year..hope its not long before we get to go back
RichardJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016   #9

Upland, California
Paddling Since: 1998
June 12
Jbertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I am shooting off the cuff here as I haven't had my usual time to obsess about flows.

A couple of things. The road to Boundary may not be open by then. June 9th or 12th. That means flying in - an excellent option - or doing Marsh Creek. Which can be excellent but can also be challenging. And it can also suck balls for the unprepared.

The funny thing is the FS has a budget for plowing the road but they often choose not to. A few years ago they were doing road clearing and wet slough slides started coming down on the other side of Fir Creek summit so they stopped. That is legit, when one of the rangers told me they wouldn't plow because they wanted the camps to recuperate more.........WTF.....we went and shoveled it out anyway.

It all depends on when it comes off but I was thinking peak around that time and that may mean much more than six feet. But don't forget I am a bullshit talking, ex-guide who hopes the river gets over 10 feet for a few different reasons. For what it's worth. I think the upper is easier at 8 feet than 6 but still scary since you are moving a solid 10 to 12 mph or more. That's all I have for now.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote